[SOLVED] CPU overheating after putting in new motherboard and cpu cooler?

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Hey, i recently upgraded my entire setup with a new case (O11) and new motherboard (MSI z390 - A Pro) with a new cooler (Coolermaster ML360R). I noticed my cpu (I-9 9900K) idle temps are around 30-38c, but when i run games these go up to around 70-80 in a matter of seconds. Thing is, i can't even feel any hot air blowing out of the cpu fans / radiator. I'm using core temp to check on the temps so im assuming this would be correct. I checked my cpu usage in task manager and it says its still at 3.60 GHz, but its speed is actually around 4.80 GHz. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or maybe the pump isn't seated on the cpu properly? I'm kind of at a loss since all the fans are spinning with the RGB connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Download and run OCCT check the speed first it should turbo up then click on the temperature and it will show that. With a AIO cooler it should go up quickly then after a few minutes come back down and stabilize

Report back..

EDIT you do have the pump plugged into the water pump connector right?

Last edited:

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Download and run OCCT check the speed first it should turbo up then click on the temperature and it will show that. With a AIO cooler it should go up quickly then after a few minutes come back down and stabilize

Report back..

EDIT you do have the pump plugged into the water punp connector right?
The pump is plugged into PUMP_FAN1, and ill try that out right now thank you.

EDIT: ran the test and everything maxed out at 100c. No idea what i'm doing wrong and no matter which way i turn the fans on the radiator they always blow into the case.

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
That is the correct plug for the pump.
Yeah i figured, i just dont know why my temps are so high.

So i just tried to run a game, and in about 3 seconds core temp was fully red, all cores at 100c. the highest load i saw was 30. All loads are pretty low. All of my fans on my radiator blow into my pc case no matter which way i turn them. This has been the most frustrating fan set up i have ever done. I don't even know if the pump is working.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i figured, i just dont know why my temps are so high.

So i just tried to run a game, and in about 3 seconds core temp was fully red, all cores at 100c. the highest load i saw was 30. All loads are pretty low. All of my fans on my radiator blow into my pc case no matter which way i turn them. This has been the most frustrating fan set up i have ever done. I don't even know if the pump is working.
The fans blow only one direction is your rad mounted in the top or front of the case.