[SOLVED] CPU overheating and causing the computer to turn off

Apr 7, 2020
Before going too far, here is my PC parts list for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/agrippy/saved/xb9V7P

About a week ago I was playing Warzone when my computer shut off and didn't turn back on. The shut off was accompanied by a popping noise. After going through some initial tests, I confirmed the PSU was bad and replaced it with a new one. Come to find out, the 500gb SSD had also shorted. Once both components were removed and PSU replaced I was able to get my computer working again. Was able to play my normal games for several days without issue. Until today.

About 20 minutes into Warzone today and my computer shut off again, this time immediately turning back on. This repeated every time I tried playing any game. After watching CPU temps I noticed it spiking to 80c right before it would shut off. As part of my trouble shooting process when I had the PSU issue the week before I had switched everything over to a spare MOBO I have to make sure it wasn't my MOBO causing the issue. So when taking my PC apart the couple times I did to switch MOBO's i had to remove the CPU cooler and reapply thermal paste. The cooler is the stock cooler that came with my CPU and I haven't had issues with it the past few years. Would the two recent moves from current MOBO to test MOBO back to current MOBO have caused an issue to pop up with it's cooling efficiency? Or should I look elsewhere for a fix.

Any help appreciated!

Solution
Love those ITX builds.

The intel stock cooler is usually adequate for non overclockable processors.
The i7-8700 is probably the limit.
First of all, does the cooler get sufficient front intake air to do it's job.
You have a nice case, and I see that you could use two 140mm intakes.
Your GTX780 is an older gen card and needs lots of power and generates commensurate heat.
You should be using at least two 120mm front intakes.
I would suggest moving the two included 120mm fans to the front.

What is your cpu idle temperature?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.
If it is much higher, perhaps your cooler has come loose or is not mounted well.
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler...
Suggestion with call of duty its well good in performance and maybe the stock cooler cant handle it and caursing the cpu to overheat and shut down your computer as an safty feature!. Normaly its the MB or PSW that makes the computer shut down alot with my experence but seems like CPU is overheating because the fan is not that good.

Love those ITX builds.

The intel stock cooler is usually adequate for non overclockable processors.
The i7-8700 is probably the limit.
First of all, does the cooler get sufficient front intake air to do it's job.
You have a nice case, and I see that you could use two 140mm intakes.
Your GTX780 is an older gen card and needs lots of power and generates commensurate heat.

What is your cpu idle temperature?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.
If it is much higher, perhaps your cooler has come loose or is not mounted well.
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want better cpu cooling, you have 165mm available for a good air cooler.
Anything with a 120mm fan or better is going to be sufficient and quieter.

Solution
Apr 7, 2020

I currently have two Corsair SP120mm fans on the front and one on the back for airflow.

Based on your description on how to mount the stock cooler, I think I might try taking it off and redoing it. When I put it on last I pushed in each corner pin individually. So I'm hoping it is just not seated correctly and there's not a larger issue here.

Just strange how it started acting up randomly after no issues last few days.

I think you might do a bit better with two front intakes and no exhaust.
Whatever air that comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
The more air you get in, the better.
Of course, two front in and one exhaust is even better.