[SOLVED] CPU overheating and pc shutting down

nalex

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my PC in that over the last couple of days it has been shutting down by itself sporadically when playing games. I tried using OCCT to see if I could replicate the issue and when using the power test, it does indeed shut itself down immediately. The other tests are absolutely fine and I haven't had any issues with.

I bought a Corsair RM850 which I've installed, and although it did last a bit longer (around 15-30 seconds) it did still shut itself down. I decided to monitors the temps and it's at this point I noticed it's running VERY hot, wish I'd checked this earlier! It runs at around 55-65C at idle, and when doing the power test it went up to 110C and shuts itself off. I won't be testing that again! In case you're interested I had an EVGA 600 Bronze PSU installed previously.

I've got a Noctua NH-U12S cooler on my CPU alongside the NT-H1 thermal paste that came with it which I thought would do a sufficient job of cooling, but have I perhaps undershot it? Do I need a new cooler? I bought this in April last year. I don't ever remember my temps being this high when checking them previously.

Any help would be appreciated.

Parts:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1333MHz (18-18-18-43)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02) (AM4)
Graphics
DELL U2417H (1920x1080@60Hz)
DELL U2417H (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International)
Storage
447GB SanDisk Ultra II 480GB (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST31000340NS (SATA )
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Solution
Try without Ryzen Master, but use CoreTuner2 (guru3d.com, but follow the setup instructions exactly) . Much of Ryzens issues is higher VID than necessary for that particular cpu, there's more power floating around than really required.

My 3700x was pushing 1.4v stock all core, and as a result was hitting in the mid 80's under load. Ryzens throttle back on individual core speeds by 50-100MHz starting at 60°C, so all core was hitting 3.7-3.8GHz at that temp.

Used CT2 to tailor the VID, which dropped SVI2 (vcore) down to 1.232v all core and as a result I see mid 60's now, and 4.28GHz all core or 4.3-4.4GHz across multiple cores, depending on the load %.

Temps are way down, performance is way up and the Ryzen still acts like a Ryzen, not...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you have Dragon Center installed, get rid of it, totally. Not just delete, but fully uninstalled. Dragon Center changes bios values to give a 'virtual oc' which Jack's up voltages and running speeds to supposedly increase performance, but with Ryzens and temps ends up doing the exact opposite. It's garbage.

At idle, temps of 50-60°C are normal peaks for a Ryzen. But thats not the temp of the entire cpu, it's the temp of the one core doing all the background tasks and processes. The other cores are at rest. Lower temps. Move the mouse and the rest of the cores wake up, spreads the load over the whole cpu, temps go down until idle state is initiated again.

Check for bios/chipset updates. There was a major Windows update not long ago and that can have funky results with default chipset drivers and bios interaction.

Power plan in windows should be set for balanced/Ryzen balanced, not performance.

nalex

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I did have afterburner installed which I completely uninstalled yesterday as I thought that could be doing something similar. I think there's a bios update for me to do but it's a beta version, do you think I should still update? My power plan was set to high performance, so I've set that back to balanced and I'll monitor.

Thanks for your reply.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens have a lot of use for that power plan, high performance is just exactly what it says, it bumps up the performance curves, voltages, clock speeds etc so that the cpu is on its toes, ready to race at all times. Balanced allows it to downclock and take a breather when not actively needed. At full need/demand, there's no difference, it's all go! with either plan, it's when there isn't full need/demand that balanced is the better option.

nalex

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I guess it makes sense when you think about it. Seems to have helped slightly as I'm not sat mostly around 53C (using Ryzen Master this time as opposed to Speccy though as I guessed that would be more accurate). Does seem to fluctuate up to 65 odd for a split second and then back down but I'm not wildy concerned about that at the minute, it's the dangerously high temps I get when it comes under load.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try without Ryzen Master, but use CoreTuner2 (guru3d.com, but follow the setup instructions exactly) . Much of Ryzens issues is higher VID than necessary for that particular cpu, there's more power floating around than really required.

My 3700x was pushing 1.4v stock all core, and as a result was hitting in the mid 80's under load. Ryzens throttle back on individual core speeds by 50-100MHz starting at 60°C, so all core was hitting 3.7-3.8GHz at that temp.

Used CT2 to tailor the VID, which dropped SVI2 (vcore) down to 1.232v all core and as a result I see mid 60's now, and 4.28GHz all core or 4.3-4.4GHz across multiple cores, depending on the load %.

Temps are way down, performance is way up and the Ryzen still acts like a Ryzen, not an overclocked locked speed Intel.

Solution
I did have afterburner installed which I completely uninstalled yesterday as I thought that could be doing something similar. I think there's a bios update for me to do but it's a beta version, do you think I should still update? My power plan was set to high performance, so I've set that back to balanced and I'll monitor.

Thanks for your reply.
What version BIOS are you on precisely? If it's a BETA version it must be fairly old as all Tomahawk MAX are release, even the Ryzen 5000 versions. Or at least none are showing as (beta) on the BIOS support page.

I would not update to one made for Ryzen 5000. While it should be OK for 3000 series processors it doesn't do much for it on a B450 platform with no pcie gen 4. I'm also not sure it would help with SAM support...both because it's B450 (although it's reported to work on some boards) but also because you're running a GTX970, Nvidia GPU. If Nvidia's making it available you'd need a BIOS update for that too.

And lastly: AMD is still working out issues in the AGESA code impacting USB port drop-puts. It may or may not affect you, but why expose yourself to that possibility when already chasing gremlins. So it's probably best to go no later than 7C02v37. That's just before the ComboAM4V2 AGESA BIOS's starting coming out, the ones with Ryzen 5000 support.

Last edited: