Question CPU OVERHEATING, any help?

Predaking512

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
Hi!
So, recently my H100i died, god knows why, and my CPU was crazy hot. So of course i instantly went to buy a simple but good air cooler.
With that, i thought it was enough....sadly, my CPU is still reaching crazy hot temperatures while gaming, to the point where my PC just freezes and crash onto the bluescreen.
Here are some details:
-CPU: i7 4790k
-cooler MASTER AIR 610
-80-95 ºC while gaming
-not overclockd because of all these
-temperature from Afterburner, openhardwaremonitor, etc
-yes, ive double checkd the mounting of the cooler
-reaplied the thermal paste

At this point im out of clues....any help?? T.T

Predaking512

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
Hi!
Thnx for the response!
Actually, the temperature here in mu country go arround 17 C, so pretty chilli.
The case was recently cleaned up and the fans are both pointing to the back of the case.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Intel says the i7-4790K TDP is only 88 W. The Cooler master MA610P has 6 heat pipes and two fans, rated at 180 watts it should handle a 88 watt CPU easily.
You need to read more articles on how much power the i7 4790k can draw. That cpu cooler is not adequate. I have two systems with this processor so I know from experience. The lowest i'd go is the Cryorig H5 Universal which should give some overhead for overclocking. Triple A games like Black Ops 4 place processors like the i5 8th/9th gen and older i7's under constant 100% load so we are starting to see threads like this one pop up.

lynx1021

Distinguished
You need to read more articles on how much power the i7 4790k can draw. That cpu cooler is not adequate. I have two systems with this processor so I know from experience. The lowest i'd go is the Cryorig H5 Universal which should give some overhead for overclocking. Triple A games like Black Ops 4 place processors like the i5 8th/9th gen and older i7's under constant 100% load so we are starting to see threads like this one pop up.
Thanks for the info! I see the Cryorig H5 Universal TDP is 160Watt but the maker may have underrated it. I saw where the i7 4790k can draw up to 325 watts in this link. https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-overclock-performance,review-32968-9.html "MSI's Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard isn't properly dropping into the right C-state by default"
Did you look in the Bios settings? I remember reading some posts where the motherboard was overclocking in auto, What board do you have?

Last edited: