Question CPU overheating - ASUS M5A78L-M LX and AMD FX-8320E

Apr 25, 2019
Hello everyone and thank you for your time!

I have a CPU overheating problem, thanks to a bad motherboard-CPU combination.

Hardware:
CPU: AMD FX-8320E
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX
CPU cooler: DEEPCOOL CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipe Gabriel
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair VS550 Alimentation
16 Go RAM ( HyperX Fury Mémoire RAM Noir Noir 8GB Kit (2x4GB))
2 fans Be Quiet! BL044 Pure Wings (80 mm) at the back of the case.

I know this motherboard doesn't help cooling the CPU by itself.

I know this CPU is prone to overheat.

So, I bought the Gabriel CPU Cooler to prevent these problems, since it cools the CPU directly from above.

Temps:
The CPU is around 40°C-45°C idle, gets to 55-60°C playing relatively old games (like some from 4 years ago).

But my real problem is that it gets really quickly to 70°C when playing more recent games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

70°C is the max temp for this CPU, so I find it a tad alarming, even if it the game plays really smoothly and is beautiful.

I'm sure of the CPU cooler installation, and of the thermal paste application.

Questions:

Is there a better CPU cooler, or case fans (in 80mm) for my configuration?
I really thought the Gabriel was a good one. I saw the Noctua NH-U14S or the Hyper 212 EVO, but the problem could be the motherboard, I think, since she doesn't provide CPU cooling.

Or should I buy another CPU, less known to overheat?

Or sould I altogether change my motherboard?

Thanks a lot for any answer, I'm always learning :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You shouldn't be on that CPU/motherboard combo. No matter what you throw at the CPU in terms of cooling, it doesn't remove the fact that the VRM area isn't adequate for that processor. You could look at tower coolers but you're going to find out that that doesn't cool the VRM area or the surrounding socket space. You could look at Cryorig's AIO's but you're now dropping money on a platform that should essentially be retired.