mr_boggle

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
Ok so Im quite sure the reason for this but just wanted to know other issues that I may have.

So I have a core i5 3470 and its got some really, and I mean REALLY bad overheating issues. Im running at a 73c at idle which I know is terrible. I believe that its because I took my CPU cooler off to clean it and I cleaned the thermal paste off and I realised that Ive lost my tube so I replaced it with toothpaste while I wait for a new tube to arrive but after I did that the temps where terrible. Ive used toothpaste as a temporary solution before and it worked perfectly (only a few degrees higher no biggy PC ran fine) but this time its running really hot. I did get a new miniITX case (bitfinex prodigy) few months back but the temps where still good.

I suspect though that my CPU cooler isnt cooling properly. Im using a stock intel cooler and the pins are bent but the cooling pad thingo is fully on the CPU so isnt that enough? Im also thinking of upgrading my CPU cooler to water cooling OR a cryorig M9i/C7 (worried about the space in my small case) so any recommendations there?

Solution
I'm sorry to be harsh, but how many ways have you got this wrong?

Don't use toothpaste, the result will vary by brand, and it will dry out quickly, it's been tested as a theoretical exercise and not as a recommendation.
Your cooler pushpins are bent and therefore you have poor contact pressure, within the first 2 sentences this looked like a contact pressure issue.

Order a cooler that will fit, order paste, turn it off, wait for them to arrive and clean the toothpaste off properly in the meantime using isopropyl alcohol or a TIM cleaner, toothpaste will not dissolve with the cleaner so it might be tricky.

Don't use toothpaste, the result will vary by brand, and it will dry out quickly, it's been tested as a theoretical exercise and not as a recommendation.
Your cooler pushpins are bent and therefore you have poor contact pressure, within the first 2 sentences this looked like a contact pressure issue.

Order a cooler that will fit, order paste, turn it off, wait for them to arrive and clean the toothpaste off properly in the meantime using isopropyl alcohol or a TIM cleaner, toothpaste will not dissolve with the cleaner so it might be tricky.

Solution

mr_boggle

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016

ok so I know youre going to hate me when I say this but Ive managed to somehow get the cooler to give even pressure just by snipping off the bent pins and sheer luck I guess but my temps are back to normal and Ive ordered new Arctic Silver thermal paste and Im looking into a new cooler but for now I can at least play games. Probably a bad idea though but Im getting around 70c while Im playing games like Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege (for now) but Ill definitely be getting a new cooler very soon