[SOLVED] Cpu overheating, bios reads 0rpm on all fans even as they spin

Yoncomet

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
I was cleaning the dust from my PC today, and in doing so I did some moving around of a few components in order to be a bit more thorough, just the psu and the heatsink. But when I placed everything back in, I turned on my PC and checked the bios to see that my CPU was reaching a temp of 126c and that my fans, cpu and case fans included, were being read as spinning at 0rpm. I find the first part of this very alarming and the second part very odd considering that the fans are actually spinning and quite fast.

I assume that I probably have my heatsink seated incorrectly, as this was something I struggled with when I first built it, but after adjusting it multiple times and getting the same result I can't help but feel like there could be another problem, which brings me here.

My specs
Mobo: Msi Z270 pc mate
Cpu: I7 7700k
Heatsink: Cryorig H7
PSU:
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W

If any other information is needed im more than willing to provide it

I am ASSUMING that each fan is plugged into a mobo fan header, and NOT into some other power source. Also check that the real CPU cooler actually is plugged into the mobo CPU_FAN header. If ALL of them say they have no speeds, then somehow every one of them is making a lousy connection of its speed signal to the relevant header. Unplug and re-connect each fan several times; this may "scrub" dirt off the contacts. Make SURE you plug these in correctly - observe the ridges on the connector sides and how they mate with the tongue beside each header.

I am ASSUMING that each fan is plugged into a mobo fan header, and NOT into some other power source. Also check that the real CPU cooler actually is plugged into the mobo CPU_FAN header. If ALL of them say they have no speeds, then somehow every one of them is making a lousy connection of its speed signal to the relevant header. Unplug and re-connect each fan several times; this may "scrub" dirt off the contacts. Make SURE you plug these in correctly - observe the ridges on the connector sides and how they mate with the tongue beside each header.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS