[SOLVED] CPU Overheating/Clock Speed Extremely Low

Jan 26, 2022
PC Components:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
RAM: 2x8Gb G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVKC DDR4
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB Mid-Tower Case

If there is any other information I can give about the hardware I am more than happy to do so.

This problem started about a week ago. I've tried troubleshooting this in all the ways I could think of. I changed my fan and AIO pump speeds manually to max in the BIOS, reapplied thermal paste this morning, and still can't seem to get to the bottom of this issue. My CPU temperature before reapplying thermal paste was averaging roughly 90-95C, which is too hot for my liking, and is now sitting comfortably around 85C. The clock speed whenever I begin to move my mouse takes a drastic hit, and whenever I run a program like a game or a Zoom call, etc., my clock speed goes down all the way to 550MHz average. The supported clock speed for a 2700X is 3700Mhz, and it gets nowhere near that number when I run a program. After reapplying thermal paste, the clock speed increased somewhat, but the issue still stands when I run a game. The thing that is confusing me the most is my mouse moving causing the computer to stutter to the point that games become virtually unplayable. If anyone could shine some light on this for me and try to troubleshoot the issue with me I would be beyond grateful because this is starting to frustrate me to no end.

Quick Update: I left to get lunch and left my computer off for a couple of hours. It's working fine for now, no frame drops or anything. This happened a few days ago too and the issue came back after a couple hours of use. I am looking into buying a new CPU cooler and maybe a new case for better airflow. If that will help with the overheating, does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022
I’ll have to check on the psu make and model, I believe it’s a 650W, all the parts were new when I bought them a little over 2 years ago, gaming is the main use of the computer

Jan 26, 2022
Did the thread get moved? I didn't get any notifications...

Scythe FUMA 2
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120
be quiet! Dark Rock 4
... just to name a few.
Okay thank you so much! I’ll probably order one after work tonight when I look into them. And I think the thread got put under review because I made an edit to the original post is my guess. Thanks again!