[SOLVED] CPU Overheating Due To Motherboard?

Dec 27, 2018
Recently, I got a new motherboard, the ASUS crosshair v formula-z, and now my cpu is overheating by quite a bit during gameplay. When I first moved my cpu (AMD FX 8320) to the new mobo I didn't reapply thermal paste because I didn't have any and the old thermal paste still looked good. But I started up csgo and immediately after going into a casual match my pc shut off without warning, which usually means overheating. After that I replaced the thermal paste with some ThermalTake compound I got at best buy, and my results were actually slightly better. By around 30 seconds before shutting off...

This never happened on my old motherboard, but I installed a cpu temp reader. My cpu after being left running for 10 minutes is acting really weird. When left idling for 10 mins without side panel on it stays around 35-40C, but with side panel its around 40c. That seems very normal to me. But when I put it under any load it spikes to 70, and I'm never paying close attention when it shuts down, so I don't know if it spikes above 80-90C (the limit on my mobo), but I would assume that it does.

Do I have a faulty motherboard? is it reading temps wrong or something?

PC Specs
CPU: AMD FX 8320
Cooler: Stock FX cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Graphics Card: Msi GTX 1050 ti 4gb
Ram: 32 gigs of Hyper X Fury 1866mhz
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

iamacow

Admirable
Feb 11, 2015
While technically you don't have to reinstall windows when using the same chipset, it does help to remove the bootware left over from the last board software.

Either:
1: previous software is causing your CPU fan to not spin up. (eco mode or something).
2: You put the heatink on wrong
3: You use crappy thermalpaste.

I'm guessing a combo of all three.

Dec 27, 2018

The fan is definitely spinning, I can see that, and I don't know how I could have possibly have put the heatsink on wrong, it seems pretty simple to me, and I think the thermal paste I chose was pretty decent. Its thermaltake tg-7.

iamacow

Admirable
Feb 11, 2015
The FX chips run hot. I was extremely disappointed when I got a AMD FX 8350. The stock cooler coudn't even keep the CPU cool. I ended up selling it as fast as I got it. Might be the real problem. Better Heatsink is needed.

Dec 27, 2018

Hmm, I didn't have any issue with my old mobo though, so is it possible for it to be a motherboard issue? If not I should get a new cooler anyways, stock fan is loud.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS