[SOLVED] CPU overheating due to turning off vsync

Mar 24, 2020
I am using Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler and i play multiplayer games like Rainbow six , Apex legends. When i turn my v sync on the temperature goes max at 72-73 degrees Celsius. But when i am turning off my v sync i see my temperature go up to 85 degrees. I searched everywhere but i did not get any solution. I cleaned my pc , opened my side panel and play the games but it does not work and my pc is fairly new so i did not bother applying thermal paste. I am really worried because it creates input lag in multiplayer games. Here are my components:

CPU: R5 3600 with stock cooler
Mobo: MSi B450m mortar max
GPU:1660 super
Ram: 8gb lpx vengeance 3200mhz
PSU: Antec Vp500p

BTW i am new here and please help me i am desperate.

Solution
i am sorry for my misinformation it did work for a second bit after that it spiked to 83degree celsius again.

mmm thats too bad, well if thats the case and if the 4 mounting screws are tight enough, then Im guessing you have a few more things to try out:

1. Leave the side panel out, and now add a home fan (one of this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Piso.jpg/1200px-Ventilador_Electrico_Piso.jpg) blowing air to the insides of your system. If by doing this the temps go down, then maybe your case does not have a propper air flow.

2. Disable PB (Precision Boost) which is like Intel Turbo Boost. If you disable this option in BIOS your CPU wont be able to go higher than its...
That is normal behavior. Turning on V-sync lowers the amount of work the CPU and GPU have to do.
It now only has to produce the frames your monitor can display in adaptive power mode. (auto default when V-sync is on.)
If you computer is overheating with side panel off then you need to look as bios or motherboard software to control fan speeds.
Sounds like your bios is set to silent mode which lets the CPU run at or near max temperature. But creates much less fan noise.
Most bios have preset options or custom settings available.

Mar 24, 2020
That is normal behavior. Turning on V-sync lowers the amount of work the CPU and GPU have to do.
It now only has to produce the frames your monitor can display in adaptive power mode. (auto default when V-sync is on.)
If you computer is overheating with side panel off then you need to look as bios or motherboard software to control fan speeds.
Sounds like your bios is set to silent mode which lets the CPU run at or near max temperature. But creates much less fan noise.
Most bios have preset options or custom settings available.
I have gone to the bios and tried to configure my fan speeds.In the custom chart by default the fan should be 100 percent while the cpu is at 75 degrees.but about the silent mode part can u clarify that as how can i change it?

Hi, welcome to the forum, as Unolocogringo wrote, thats whats usaully happend when you disable vsync and the GPU is powerfull enough to render more FPS and put more load on the CPU.
But on the other hand, the Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler is not awesome, and it can be really bad unless you have a very well ventilated case and/or your room temp will stay around 23°C.

As a side note: those 8GB of DDR4 3200 RAM, is only 1 stick of RAM, or 2 x 4GB?. If its only 1 stick of RAM thats the first thing you should focus on fix, your loosing FPS without dual channel memory (you need 2 identical sticks, or a kit).

I can think of 3 things you can try.

Make sure the 4 screws are fastened enough onthe cooler, a loose screw wont allow the heatsink to do good contact with the CPU and soo the heat wont transfer that well. Don't over do it, you should feel when it reached the right position.

Another thing to try is go to BIOS and disable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), is like an auto-OC function made by AMD, really not worth it with your stock cooler and it will be probably making it run hotter for a very little (negligence) gain. You should be able to find a video on internet on how to do this on your mobo,the option should be the "AMD CBS" menu).

Third thing you can try is basically buy a better cooler, there are lots of great budget options. Hyper 212 Black, Gammaxx GTE/400, Arctic Freezer 34 esport duo, etc.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020
T
Hi, welcome to the forum, as Unolocogringo wrote, thats whats usaully happend when you disable vsync and the GPU is powerfull enough to render more FPS and put more load on the CPU.
But on the other hand, the Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler is not awesome, and it can be really bad unless you have a very well ventilated case and/or your room temp will stay around 23°C.

As a side note: those 8GB of DDR4 3200 RAM, is only 1 stick of RAM, or 2 x 4GB?. If its only 1 stick of RAM thats the first thing you should focus on fix, your loosing FPS without dual channel memory (you need 2 identical sticks, or a kit).

I can think of 3 things you can try.

Make sure the 4 screws are fastened enough onthe cooler, a loose screw wont allow the heatsink to do good contact with the CPU and soo the heat wont transfer that well. Don't over do it, you should feel when it reached the right position.

Another thing to try is go to BIOS and disable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), is like an auto-OC function made by AMD, really not worth it with your stock cooler and it will be probably making it run hotter for a very little (negligence) gain. You should be able to find a video on internet on how to do this on your mobo,the option should be the "AMD CBS" menu).

Third thing you can try is basically buy a better cooler, there are lots of great budget options. Hyper 212 Black, Gammaxx GTE/400, Arctic Freezer 34 esport duo, etc.

Cheers
Thank you for you advice. I disabled PBO and turned off vsync ,now my temps are about 73-76 max playing apex, Just turning off the PBO will do or should i disable something else to prevent from overheating.

T

Thank you for you advice. I disabled PBO and turned off vsync ,now my temps are about 73-76 max playing apex, Just turning off the PBO will do or should i disable something else to prevent from overheating.

It seems to me PBO was enough to fix the over 80°C problem with vsync OFF.

73~76° C is not a horrible temp (for the stock cooler), Im guessing if later on you can add a better cooler things will be even better.

Cheers

Mar 24, 2020
It seems to me PBO was enough to fix the over 80°C problem with vsync OFF.

73~76° C is not a horrible temp (for the stock cooler), Im guessing if later on you can add a better cooler things will be even better.

Cheers
i am sorry for my misinformation it did work for a second bit after that it spiked to 83degree celsius again.

mmm thats too bad, well if thats the case and if the 4 mounting screws are tight enough, then Im guessing you have a few more things to try out:

1. Leave the side panel out, and now add a home fan (one of this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Piso.jpg/1200px-Ventilador_Electrico_Piso.jpg) blowing air to the insides of your system. If by doing this the temps go down, then maybe your case does not have a propper air flow.

2. Disable PB (Precision Boost) which is like Intel Turbo Boost. If you disable this option in BIOS your CPU wont be able to go higher than its base clock (3600MHz), there wont be any "turbo". This will and should lead to a lower temp, with and without vsync. What I can not tell you for sure is how bad this will impact on your FPS.

3. Get a beefier cooler for your CPU, and replace the old one. But keep in mind this wont do any magic unless you have a very good airflow inside your case. Any decent gaming PC should have at least: 2 intake fans (120mm, preferably since they can move more air at lower rpm vs the 80mm ones) in the front and atleast 1 (120mm) rear fan taking the hot air out of your system.

Solution
Mar 24, 2020

2. Disable PB (Precision Boost) which is like Intel Turbo Boost. If you disable this option in BIOS your CPU wont be able to go higher than its base clock (3600MHz), there wont be any "turbo". This will and should lead to a lower temp, with and without vsync. What I can not tell you for sure is how bad this will impact on your FPS.

3. Get a beefier cooler for your CPU, and replace the old one. But keep in mind this wont do any magic unless you have a very good airflow inside your case. Any decent gaming PC should have at least: 2 intake fans (120mm, preferably since they can move more air at lower rpm vs the 80mm ones) in the front and atleast 1 (120mm) rear fan taking the hot air out of your system.
I disabled both CPB and PBO and managed to get 73 Celsius . Thank you.

np, keep in mind that when disable PB youre loosing some performance (I wrote that right?), once again, Im not sure how much, it will all depend on the title your playing.
Later on if you can get a better cooler or improve the air flow inside your case remember to enable PB again to get that extra free performance back.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS