[SOLVED] CPU overheating from broken water cooler?

Jul 18, 2019
Specs:
CPU: i5-4670k (no overclock)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x4GB Stick
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 770
Mobo: Gigabyte GA Z87x-D3H
PSU: Corsair AX860
Water Cooler: Corsair Hydro H55 or H50
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250gb
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
Monitor: Asus VG248QE

Built in 2014, ran smoothly playing Csgo for about 2 years (around 300 fps) and started getting fps drops sometime around 2016 (from 300 fps to 200 even 150 range). Not sure what was causing the problem but cleaned the PC interior with dust can spray. Still had fps problems but played on.

Early 2019 took a turn for the worse. In addition to fps drops, my mouse would now freeze up in game and even outside the game and the mouse itself (Razer DA) would stop working for 1 second with the mouse lights blinking off and then back on. Now not only the mouse has problems, my keyboard would also get stuck in one key in the game so I could be moving left or right non stop until I unplug and re plug my keyboard. Basically, my mouse and keyboard freezes probably due to CPU overheating from perhaps the budget water cooler I compromised on (thermal paste was pre-applied). I believe the culprit is that my water cooler has stopped working somewhere (although the fan attached to the pipe is still spinning) it could be the pump but I am unsure. Perhaps it was the pre-applied thermal paste which is the cause or could it be my graphics card?

I am planning on replacing the water cooler with a higher end fan cooler with actual thermal paste this time. Any ideas?

Thanks

Solution
Are your disk drives full or near full?

I would say run some anti-malware (anti-malware bytes gets most common malware)

Download any updates available for your hardware. Motherboard drivers, BIOS, GPU drivers. I've found the most common source of issues to be audio hardware.

Make sure Windows is up to date.

If none of that makes a difference, I would start looking at the power supply.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you checked the CPU temperature? CPU clock speeds? RPM measurement on the CPU fan or Pump header in the BIOS?

It already has 'actual' thermal paste. Probably not that.

Pumps certainly can fail, but they can also get air bubbles stuck in them. If you verify your temperatures are overly high, go ahead and dismount it, rotate it in every orientation, give it a few shakes, put it back in with new thermal compound and see if it is any better.

No sense spending on a new CPU cooler until you know it is the problem. Could be software or malware issues. Disk I/O issues, you need to look at the system and see what it is doing.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Specs:
CPU: i5-4670k (no overclock)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x4GB Stick
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 770
Mobo: Gigabyte GA Z87x-D3H
PSU: Corsair AX860
Water Cooler: Corsair Hydro H55 or H50
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250gb
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
Monitor: Asus VG248QE

Built in 2014, ran smoothly playing Csgo for about 2 years (around 300 fps) and started getting fps drops sometime around 2016 (from 300 fps to 200 even 150 range). Not sure what was causing the problem but cleaned the PC interior with dust can spray. Still had fps problems but played on.

Early 2019 took a turn for the worse. In addition to fps drops, my mouse would now freeze up in game and even outside the game and the mouse itself (Razer DA) would stop working for 1 second with the mouse lights blinking off and then back on. Now not only the mouse has problems, my keyboard would also get stuck in one key in the game so I could be moving left or right non stop until I unplug and re plug my keyboard. Basically, my mouse and keyboard freezes probably due to CPU overheating from perhaps the budget water cooler I compromised on (thermal paste was pre-applied). I believe the culprit is that my water cooler has stopped working somewhere (although the fan attached to the pipe is still spinning) it could be the pump but I am unsure. Perhaps it was the pre-applied thermal paste which is the cause or could it be my graphics card?

I am planning on replacing the water cooler with a higher end fan cooler with actual thermal paste this time. Any ideas?

Thanks
I would disassemble a do a full clean of everything inside the case. and check on youtube for some videos on how to properly clean your liquid cooling system that you have. Re apply after market thermal paste. You would need to run tests and checks and look over the log files it produces to see where the problem might be.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Without knowing it is 'CPU overheating', let's work on the assumption that it might be any number of other things before we know the CPU is getting hot and throttling, first.

It seems to be a very common diagnosis but usually with very little backing.

Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for the input guys. Had a look at my BIOS

CPU temp 42C
CPU Fan speed 1607 RPM
CPU OPT Fan speed 1134 RPM
System Temp 31C
1st System Fan speed 405 RPM
2nd System Fan speed 672 RPM
3rd System Fan speed 604 RPM

Then I used MSI afterburner to check in game temps

CPU temp around 50C
GPU temp around 50C
RAM around 6000mb

By the looks of it, the temperatures should be fine? I forgot to say when I wiggle or scroll my mouse and it freezes, it will make an error sound with either 3 beats to it or another error sound with 4 beats to it. I tried my mouse on another computer and it works normally and no freezing occurs so it can't by a faulty mouse.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are your disk drives full or near full?

I would say run some anti-malware (anti-malware bytes gets most common malware)

Download any updates available for your hardware. Motherboard drivers, BIOS, GPU drivers. I've found the most common source of issues to be audio hardware.

Make sure Windows is up to date.

If none of that makes a difference, I would start looking at the power supply.

Solution