Question cpu overheating heeeeelp

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
So i have athlon II x4 651k cpu with F1A75-M LE mbo and stock cooler idk how many years back on full load i would get the warning 60C centrigrade but ok it stayed there and i guess no problem coz i think these CPUs can handle 70 or something but few months back it started going over..
so on full load in 5 minutes it can go over 75 which is not good. I bought mx-4 thermal paste of arctic coz old paste could be the only problem right and cleaned everything.
For a day it was great but then again it went to overheating in a moment
Basically i dont know what to do, is the cpu too old or the thing that measures is broken??
btw i have Ai Suite II for handling the fan and the rest stuff and i even downloaded some other good program for temps measuring to check is ai suite is broken but it gave similar results

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
Getting better cooler should solve your problem. If you don't want to get a new cooler maybe try cleaning the stock cooler, as there may be dust preventing air from moving through the aluminium fins

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
Getting better cooler should solve your problem. If you don't want to get a new cooler maybe try cleaning the stock cooler, as there may be dust preventing air from moving through the aluminium fins
i literally said i cleaned everything, so yeah no dust no nothing, paste i put on the right way and thats that :(

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
win 7 and games mostly which is normal
Well, since the processor is really friggin old, the thermal paste between the ihs and the silicon die may have become worn out. And since games are becoming more and more demanding, the processor will overheat. I highly recommend you get a new cooler, as it will definitely solve your issue and might make your system a lot quieter

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
Well, since the processor is really friggin old, the thermal paste between the ihs and the silicon die may have become worn out. And since games are becoming more and more demanding, the processor will overheat. I highly recommend you get a new cooler, as it will definitely solve your issue and might make your system a lot quieter
yeah i know, but i got a high quality new paste and games always got it on high load but this is ridiculous its like i dont have a cooler so i wanna know is there some other problem or what

It's also summer in the northern hemisphere.
Most people forget that CPU manufacturers test their CPUs at what they call a 'normal' 72ºF. People shouldn't expect their CPU coolers to work as well when they get home to their hot box with one window AC unit. :D

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
It's also summer in the northern hemisphere.
Most people forget that CPU manufacturers test their CPUs at what they call a 'normal' 72ºF. People shouldn't expect their CPU coolers to work as well when they get home to their hot box with one window AC unit. :D
nope thats not iti have ac and its even cold now for some reason, this is some other problem ciz if i work it for some 10-15 mins i bet it would get to 90-100 and die

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
And you are dead-set against getting a better cooler for it...?
well kinda yea coz i wanna get a whole new pc but that is not so close really. but here the main problem isnt a new cooler its definitely some other problem and i wanted to see if someone had an idea besides a nEw cOoLer or cLeaN DuSt. and btw i saw some guy saying the same thing as me and got a new cooler but shortly he got the same problem -.-

I'm going to be really "unreasonable" and take a wild guess that you don't have years of experience building and/or repairing computers; so you posted here to take advantage of the experience of others in helping you resolve your problem.

Yes?

But you're going to ignore informed replies, recommending that you do the common sense thing and get a better cooler, because some unknown guy says something that contradicts what's been said, here?

Please correct me, if I have somehow misunderstood the situation, here...

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
I'm going to be really "unreasonable" and take a wild guess that you don't have years of experience building and/or repairing computers; so you posted here to take advantage of the experience of others in helping you resolve your problem.

Yes?

But you're going to ignore informed replies, recommending that you do the common sense thing and get a better cooler, because some unknown guy says something that contradicts what's been said, here?

Please correct me, if I have somehow misunderstood the situation, here...
omfg dude no i am not beginner in this i know a good amount thats exactly why i am asking here coz i have encoutered something abnormal... no shit a very good cooler would lower the temp but who knows
"taking advantage" lmfao forums are places where ppl help ppl, they dont have to but can and in meantime something new can be learned

Precisely.

People are trying to help you by giving you helpful and accurate advice. So, why are you ignoring it?

You have an overheating processor with an inadequate cooler on it. No matter WHY it's overheating (and if it's being over-clocked, that's a real good reason why, right there), it needs a proper cooling solution on it to get rid of the heat.

What else do you need to be told?

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
Precisely.

People are trying to help you by giving you helpful and accurate advice. So, why are you ignoring it?

You have an overheating processor with an inadequate cooler on it. No matter WHY it's overheating (and if it's being over-clocked, that's a real good reason why, right there), it needs a proper cooling solution on it to get rid of the heat.

What else do you need to be told?
maybe u didnt understand my problem. how can after so many years heat spike so suddenly , cooler is working as it should(even faster then it should by the readings lol) and i wanted to know why ,maybe theres something not in plain sight and i wanted to check thats all

p.s. no overclocking was done

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
maybe u didnt understand my problem. how can after so many years heat spike so suddenly , cooler is working as it should(even faster then it should by the readings lol) and i wanted to know why ,maybe theres something not in plain sight and i wanted to check thats all

p.s. no overclocking was done
Dude honestly ur not listening to us. That processor is is like 6-7 years old. Of course its going to fking increase in temperature. I highly suggest you listen cos even a 30 dollar cooler could knock down ur temps by like 10 degrees, or maybe more.

OK....no over-clocking is being done.

From the imprecise and very general information you have given, so far, people here are left to guess the rest of it.

Things you want to look for:
  • Fan speed....is it slower than it used to be?
  • Thermal paste....everybody can make a mistake. Did you apply it correctly? No...don't assume, go back and check, and be hypercritical of your own work.
  • Existing HS/Fan ass'y....is it actually seated correctly on the processor package?
  • Air flow through the case....has that changed at all?
  • Utilization....do you have programs (maybe even viruses on the system) that are hogging processor time?
If you want to solve this problem, YOU need to be proactive and provide enough information so that people here can actually help in a meaningful way.

I will add this, though....cooling solutions which were provided with processors 7 years ago (and sometimes not even provided with the processor purchase) have been typically inadequate for normal use, much less for long-term use. The heat sink was probably undersized from the get-go, and you're battling wear and tear on the fan bearings.

For the bulk of the issues you may be dealing with--outside of utilization and case air flow--a cooling solution swap is the shortest path to taking care of the issue you posted about. If you eliminate processor utilization and case airflow issues, you're looking at inadequate cooling, for one reason or another.

[EDIT]
Under that category, if the thermal conductivity has broken-down between the processor die set and the processor can, you're still looking at a defect in cooling. You can buy a recertified processor ( https://www.newegg.com/p/1FR-0001-00088?item=9SIA4RE8BA0322 ), or de-lid the processor you have now, and re-mount your HS/F ass'y; but, a HS/Fan Ass'y is cheaper (20-bucks) than a recertified processor, and a lot less hassle than de-lidding a processor.

Last edited:

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
OK....no over-clocking is being done.

From the imprecise and very general information you have given, so far, people here are left to guess the rest of it.

Things you want to look for:
  • Fan speed....is it slower than it used to be?
  • Thermal paste....everybody can make a mistake. Did you apply it correctly? No...don't assume, go back and check, and be hypercritical of your own work.
  • Existing HS/Fan ass'y....is it actually seated correctly on the processor package?
  • Air flow through the case....has that changed at all?
  • Utilization....do you have programs (maybe even viruses on the system) that are hogging processor time?
If you want to solve this problem, YOU need to be proactive and provide enough information so that people here can actually help in a meaningful way.

I will add this, though....cooling solutions which were provided with processors 7 years ago (and sometimes not even provided with the processor purchase) have been typically inadequate for normal use, much less for long-term use. The heat sink was probably undersized from the get-go, and you're battling wear and tear on the fan bearings.

For the bulk of the issues you may be dealing with--outside of utilization and case air flow--a cooling solution swap is the shortest path to taking care of the issue you posted about. If you eliminate processor utilization and case airflow issues, you're looking at inadequate cooling, for one reason or another.
yeah non of those are problems but i am looking now for a cooler and i hope it solves it completely