Question CPU Overheating HELP!

Jan 8, 2020
Hey guys I need some help.

I have an Intel i7 2600k running @ 3.4GHz. I've had this computer for over a year now, bought it secondhand. Recently (about a week ago) the CPU started overheating really bad, forcing the system to shut down.

So I did the normal S.O.P.; replaced the thermal paste, checked task manager for CPU usage, downloaded CoreTemp and Speccy. Running at idle (no load) the CPU idles anywhere from 70-80C. This is a lot hotter than the 35-40C I was averaging. And if I stress-test the CPU or put it under even a light load, temps jump up to around 85-95, topping out at 98C.

And the CPU is the only thing that's overheating, and it currently have it sitting on top of my desk, case open. Fans blowing cold air.

It is water-cooled (Corsair AIO type thing)
MOBO - ASUS P8Z68-V LX
3 case fans (2 pull, 1 push)

Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't really have time to spend 1k setting up a new rig.

I have an Intel i7 2600k running @ 3.4GHz. I've had this computer for over a year now, bought it secondhand. Recently (about a week ago) the CPU started overheating really bad, forcing the system to shut down.

So I did the normal S.O.P.; replaced the thermal paste, checked task manager for CPU usage, downloaded CoreTemp and Speccy. Running at idle (no load) the CPU idles anywhere from 70-80C. This is a lot hotter than the 35-40C I was averaging. And if I stress-test the CPU or put it under even a light load, temps jump up to around 85-95, topping out at 98C.

And the CPU is the only thing that's overheating, and it currently have it sitting on top of my desk, case open. Fans blowing cold air.

MOBO - ASUS P8Z68-V LX

Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't really have time to spend 1k setting up a new rig.
I think there is an issue with the AIO. I think either the pump isn't pumping properly or there is a clog or an airlock or something like this (I assume the radiator fans are spinning).
Especially because it seemed to happen all at once.

Jan 8, 2020
I think there is an issue with the AIO. I think either the pump isn't pumping properly or there is a clog or an airlock or something like this (I assume the radiator fans are spinning).
Especially because it seemed to happen all at once.

Would it be worth ordering a $30 air-cooler and swapping it out for the AIO?

Would it be worth ordering a $30 air-cooler and swapping it out for the AIO?
Well....either that or see if you can figure out the AIO issue.
I think that if your radiator fans are spinning......and the heatsink is snug on the CPU......about the only other thing I can think of is that the coolant isn't flowing properly.
....and this would result from...
The pump failing.
a clog
or an airlock.

Jan 8, 2020
Well....either that or see if you can figure out the AIO issue.
I think that if your radiator fans are spinning......and the heatsink is snug on the CPU......about the only other thing I can think of is that the coolant isn't flowing properly.
....and this would result from...
The pump failing.
a clog
or an airlock.

Thanks for the direction; I'll try and see if I can't get the AIO to work. Here's the model, if that makes any difference: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060013-WW

How would I be able to figure out if the pump has failed or if there's a clog/airlock? (Radiator fans are spinning and heatsink is snug)

Thanks for the direction; I'll try and see if I can't get the AIO to work. Here's the model, if that makes any difference: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-H90-140mm-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060013-WW

How would I be able to figure out if the pump has failed or if there's a clog/airlock? (Radiator fans are spinning and heatsink is snug)
Well....sometimes people get used to how the pump sounds.....and if it's not pumping it will probably sound different. If you are getting nothing from the pump (no noise....no vibration) then the pump probably quit altogether.
Also....sometimes with clear tubing you can either see it's not flowing.....or you might be able to pinch a tube and get an idea if it's flowing or not.
If you see air in the tubes anywhere.....that's probably bad and an indication that the air needs to be purged.
Also this air can cause what's called an air lock.....where the pump will spin....but won't pump.

Jan 8, 2020
Well....sometimes people get used to how the pump sounds.....and if it's not pumping it will probably sound different. If you are getting nothing from the pump (no noise....no vibration) then the pump probably quit altogether.
Also....sometimes with clear tubing you can either see it's not flowing.....or you might be able to pinch a tube and get an idea if it's flowing or not.
If you see air in the tubes anywhere.....that's probably bad and an indication that the air needs to be purged.
Also this air can cause what's called an air lock.....where the pump will spin....but won't pump.

Well it looks like my AIO is just on its way out. Going to order an air cooler and see what happens. Will follow-up on this thread with results. Thanks for all your help!

Jan 6, 2020

MOBO - ASUS P8Z68-V LX

I've seen the other comments about replacing the aio so I won't mention that. But one thing you could do is go into the Bios and see what voltages you have going to your CPU, if all looks good at around 1.2v - 1.4 in Vcore it's nothing to do with that. I wish you good luck in finding a solution.

Jan 8, 2020
I've seen the other comments about replacing the aio so I won't mention that. But one thing you could do is go into the Bios and see what voltages you have going to your CPU, if all looks good at around 1,2v - 1.4 in Vcore it's nothing to do with that. I wish you good luck in finding a solution.

BIOS says CPU voltage is sitting right about at 1.12v

Jan 8, 2020
Air cooler got swapped on. Seems to idle at around 35-45C now (the pc is in a room that can get fairly warm so 45 is the higher end of the spectrum). Under 100% load via CPU-Z it's hitting max temps of 80C, which is fairly normal I believe.

Reactions: Luke H./

jakedude182

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
Was gonna say, were the coolent temps reported in the corsair software much higher than your ambient room temperatures as if they were you would of had a penalty on temps from the start.

These types of closed liquid coolers have a life expectancy and can loose their ability to cool overtime.