CPU Overheating in 3d games

danerf

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hi.

Ive had problems with my PC ever since I have bought the Asus x1950 Pro graphics card.

My current spec is

AMD 64 x2 4400+
4GB RAM
Asus x1950 Pro Graphics card
Antec Neo480 PSU
Abit KN9 AM2 Mobo
Soundblast X-FI

As you can see from this chart my CPU Temperatures sore through the roof whenver I play 3d games such as World of warcraft, Bioshock and Need for speed Pro Street.

I have been trolling the internet for a couple of weeks now trying to find a solution and reading things which can improve my CPU temperature.

1. Bought new heat sink and applied it correctly
2. Bought a new CPU Fan which is huge
3. Cleaned the PC from dust

Now from what ive read it could be my PSU. I must admit whenver I unplug my PC from the mains and plug it in again it takes a couple of minutes to get going again. Yet again my north bridge could be getting way to hot, or even the temperature monitor could be faulty. The temperature of my Graphics card stays around a steady 50c whenver playing these games

So before I got spending my money on a new PSU I thought you might be give me some light on this.

Thanks in advance

Dan

danerf

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Actually its whenever I do anything Strenuous to the computer such as Virus scan, spy ware scan, dvd ripping ect....

You say that you have been having problems...but you don't list any of them.
What are the problems? (You know of course that these heat sensing programs are hardly ever work correctly, check your bois for true temps)

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Have you upgraded your psu? if you have lept from an old gfx card to your current one there may be lack of power meaning your current psu has to work close or over its peak power which could be placing heat or putting strain on your cpu

danerf

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The only problems ive had is the cpu overheating.

Ive been looking at the CPU temp chart quite abit, and If I do anything what so ever like open a program or play come music it shoots up 10c... currently its idleing at about 40c.

Ive had the same PSU for 2 years now and after upgrading my graphics card the cpu temps starting going awall

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi danerf,

What are your GPU temps like? Could be lack of airflow in your case (or more specifically the EXHAUST capacity). What fans do you have to exhaust heat from the case??

The X1950 Pro (which I also have) has a single slot cooler so will recirculate hot air in your case if you are not careful!! I watercool mine but perhaps you could get an aftermarket cooler that would exhaust out the adjacent PCI slot??

You don't list your PSU model and wattage which is more important to know than the rest of the spec's of your rig!!

Clean the CPU and heatsink with a good TIM cleaner. Apply a spot Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-2 with a gloved hand (I am thinking disposable Vinyl or Latex - not the kind Michael Jackson wears :hello: ) and spread the compound evenly over the surface with a gloved finger then you avoid getting grease off your fingers into the mix!!

What cooler are you using on your CPU? Stock or aftermarket? 'cause the Arctic CPU coolers are good and cheap as well!!

Bob

P.S. Sorry 'bout all the Arctic references but they do some good stuff!! :)

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

So if your saying that your idle temp is 40C that when you open other apps it shoots up 10C from 40C = 50C, whats the problem? You tell us you have a big CPU cooler but don't list which one or how you applied the thermal paste and even what PC case your using to cool your system. We can only help you better buy getting more information, a lack of info = no help.