CPU overheating instantly

re141886

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I recently removed my heatsink to clean out dust. I applied thermal compound, replaced, and now the processor heats up to over 90 degrees celsius within a minute of the computer operating. the fan is working fine, and the heatsink is screwed into the board properly. besides the thermal compound being applied incorrectly (and i'm pretty sure it is not), what else could possibly be the problem? thank you.

Besides a problem with the thermal compound there might be some physical damage to the heatsink base or the CPU heat spreader. You can inspect the base of the heat sink and check the CPU heat spreader for scratches, ding or gouges.
Also a chance the "screwed into the board properly" is giving you a false sense of security and possibly not having a full heatsink base to heatspreader contact for some reason.

If it wasn't overheating before, and the fan is working properly, then you should re-check your TIM. Most aftermarket TIM doesn't require a think layer, just a haze and a drop about the size of a rice kernel before you set and tighten the heatsink.

TRENDING THREADS