CPU Overheating issue

Moxy3D

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
It seems every time I play an AAA title such as GTA V etc, in game according to CPU-Z my CPU temp hovers around 85-90c and my GPU is around 70-75c.
I have an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2MHz not OCed, and a AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB RAM, 8GB RAM.

What could be causing such heat?

Thanks

Solution
If it's under 80c in extreme stress testing on a stock cooler then that is better. How are your idle temps now?

jr9

Estimable
- Too much thermal paste used or poor cooler mount. Clean with lint free cloth like coffee filter and isoprobl alcohol 90%. Apply a pea sized amount of paste on CPU cap. Reinstall cooler.

- CPU cooler not mounted right. Reinstall with steps above.

- Issue with the CPU cooler itself. If fan is not spinning then replace cooler. If dusty, blow out with compressed air.

- Poor case airflow. Try removing side panel and see if temps improve.

Recommend using HWInfo to watch temps during the troubleshooting process. You may not even have 90c temps.

Moxy3D

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hi,

Thank you for replying.
I checked the thermal paste and its fine. I made sure the cooler was mounted properly. Also removed the side cover. I actually used HWMonitor to gauge the temp and as I write this, the cpu temp is around 65c idle. I'm seriously thinking I need a better cooler, but I'm really not sure what kind to get.
I've been thinking about getting a liquid cooler, but I'm not sure how the radiator will fit into my case.
I have a Phanteks Eclipse P400 mid tower case. Will it fit?

jr9

Estimable
Even with a stock cooler 65c idle (is your CPU utilization actually under 10%) is unacceptable unless your room is extremely hot and especially at stock clocks. If removing the side panel doesn't help I'd still go through with a full cooler reinstalling with isoprobl alcohol cleaning the cap/heatsink and fresh thermal paste.

You can't check thermal paste without having to redo it. If you lifted the cooler off then it needs to be cleaned and reapplied. Air bubbles from removing the cooler can cause the paste to not work properly.

Moxy3D

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Ok I've now removed the cooler, cleaned off the thermal paste on the heatsink and cap with alcohol, reapplied the paste, then put the cooler back. Checked for bubbles, there are none.
But guess what? I'm still getting a pretty high temp(at idle 60c) and my room temp is nice and cool being wintertime. Now can I get a liquid cooler 120 or 240?

agello24

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
1. dump the stock cooler. 2. invest in a SOLID block cooler and not a contact pipe cooler. 3. look at reviews for the one you may get, also the if the cooler works on AM3+, it will work on the AM4. just remember to have the am3 brackets that came with your board. full load on my ryzen 5 1600 im doing 57c. thats with a zalman cnps 9900led.

jr9

Estimable
There is nothing wrong with the Ryzen stock cooler even for light overclocking. There is no reason to need an aftermarker cooler. If you are getting idle temps in the 60s and load temps above 80c then the issue is one of my 4 points or the cpu fan isn't spinning or spinning slowly.

What are your load temps? They are the ones that matter.

Moxy3D

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Okay well I've done all 4 things you said, and I'm currently running a stress test with AIDA64 and getting load times of 60-69c. The stress test has been going for 2 hrs now, and its slowly climbing. Last check, the cpu temp is at 78c.

TRENDING THREADS