[SOLVED] CPU overheating multiple errors

Apr 28, 2020
Hi,

A couple of weeks back my desktop shut down because of over heating. I received the CPU over temperature error in addition to CPU fan speed error.

From then on in the CPU fan speed error kept coming up on boot up and My CPU temperature would gradually increase whilst idle on the bios until getting to the late 80s onto the 90s.

The initial failing could have been my fault as I didn't dust for ages. I gave it a good dusting after and made sure the pins from the liquid cooler to the CPU were all in fine and reapplied thermal paste.

The error and rocketing CPU temps still kept persisting. I read on a forum that once you get to the windows log in you may not see as high temperature so I disabled a setting in the bios for CPU fan min speed and downloaded an app to check cpu temps.

Temps now were hovering in the late 60s to late 70s until I booted up an ancient game (Command and Conquer Generals) then yet again the CPU overheated and the fail safe kicked in.

I received this error message instead: "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on" along with the over heating error.

My spec is:
I7 6700k
Corsair Hydro series H60
Corsair 16GB ram
MSI geforce gtx 1070
Asus Z170 motheboard

If anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm not very techy with computers so you may need to speak in lay man's terms.

Apr 28, 2020
Hydro series H60 is too small at 120mm for 6600k. You need 220/240mm size for adequate cooling.

Thanks for your response Calvin. Excuse my ignorance but I've had this set up for 4 years and never experienced this issue previously. Would the cooler system have become less efficient over time?