Question Cpu overheating nightmare

Aug 24, 2022
I bought a prebuilt msi gaming computer that worked great for about a year, then one day all of a sudden my fps in games would go from 130fps to 15 after about 3 minutes. I noticed my cpu was at 94 degrees. So assuming it was my water cooler that went bad I purchased a new one and installed it and my cpu was still running at 90 on idle. Sent that one back and just ordered a cheap air cooler, finally! Temp went back down to 40 idle. Then after about a week my cpu starts up at 90 again. I have tried new thermal paste on all the coolers and it didn’t help. Anyone have any suggestion?

Aug 24, 2022
What is the new cooler?

I'd check temps with at least 2 temp monitoring programs to confirm overheating.

Have you visually confirmed that all fans are in fact spinning?

What is the new cooler?

I'd check temps with at least 2 temp monitoring programs to confirm overheating.

What is the new cooler?

I have the msi app and Core Temp app open and they both are reading 93 degrees :(.
current Air flow cooler i have in now is Thermaltake Gravity this is the only one that ran at lower temps for about a week and now its back to cooking my cpu. The other one i ran was Cooler master Master Liquid , but that one didn't even woprk right out of the box. My original cooler was MAG Core Liquid 120R, and that one ran fine for about a year. All my fans are currently working too.

Aug 24, 2022
What thermal paste are you using and how are you applying it?
I have tried both the Corsair XTM50 and Corsaid TM 30 and got the same 90 results. The air cooler that i got came with it already pre installed on it so i just used that and it worked for about a week. I have just did about a half inch circle in the middle of cpu.

Air flow cooler i have in now is Thermaltake Gravity this is the only one that ran at lower temps for about a week and now its back to cooking my cpu.

That looks like a replacement for the stock Intel cooler. That mounting mechanism is notoriously cranky. You may think it is mounted correctly, but it may have a corner slightly out of whack. Or it may be OK.

Thermal paste...I'd normally just put a dot in the middle. Somewhere between the size of a BB and a green pea. Let the cooler mounting pressure and heat spread it around. But your method may have been fine?

Can't think of any more ideas assuming that temp is accurate.