[SOLVED] CPU overheating on idle

lopespintorodrigo

Commendable
Feb 12, 2018
I moved my computer from one house to another and now it's overheating on idle, even in the bios. This happened last week after moving the desktop again and it somehow fixed itself but I don't know why.
I have a AIO water cooler for the CPU and it appears to be running. When I feel the tubes I can feel vibration (of what I think is the water) and the difference in temperature between the two tubes is very noticeable. I've switched fans around, put them at max but it all appears to not work. I've even taken the pump part of the cooler out and given it a shake to remove any bubbles that might have formed but it didn't fix it. I've also switched the termal paste very recently. Even in the BIOS the temp is either stable at around 60ºC or slowly goes up. If I open any game, no matter how intensive it is, the temp jump to 100ºC and the computer either freezes or blue-screens.

CPU - i7 6700k
Cooler - Enermax Liqmax II 240 cooler
Motherboard - MSI Z170A PC MATE

What can I do?

Solution
Since it sounds like the pump works - something came loose during transport mate.
Take the motherboard out, reinstall the cooler backplate, put the mobo back in and reinstall the cooler.

If that doesn't work, I'd suspect blockage somewhere in the unit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Since it sounds like the pump works - something came loose during transport mate.
Take the motherboard out, reinstall the cooler backplate, put the mobo back in and reinstall the cooler.

Solution

lopespintorodrigo

Commendable
Feb 12, 2018

anything in specific that could have come loose? In case of blockage what can I do?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
anything in specific that could have come loose?
The cooler backplate that I just mentioned or some gunk got dislodged and is flowing freely. Parts and debris can still shift/shake around during transport - especially during extended trips.

In case of blockage what can I do?
How do you have the unit mounted in the chassis currently and how long has it been in use?