CPU Overheating on Low Setting Games (Minimal Load)

Windows 7-11

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
Radeon RX 460 GPU
AMD FX 8320 CPU
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MOBA
Thermaltake Smart 650W Bronze Power Supply
Can't remember the case exactly but it is a normal size tower Corsair model

About eight months ago I started having issues with sudden shut downs. Now previously to this I had probably been running my computer a lot hotter than I should have for a long time without paying attention to it. (eg. the preceding two years) So after putting up with these problems, six months ago I re-applied the thermal paste, cleaned out the fans thoroughly, switched monitors and bought a new GPU. This seemed to be keep it under control for several months. After a couple months I started having infrequent shut down issues so I set the CPU to ~97% maximum processor state. I also ran the case open for better air flow.

Fast forward and I'm having over-heating issues again. Sometimes the GPU (the new one) gets too hot but more often than not it is the CPU forcing a shut down when it gets around ~80 degrees. Now keep in mind this is happening under minimal loads on games with graphics set to low/minimum or even when I'm downloading something from Steam and the Mb/S is in the 15+ range for extended periods of time. Removing the maximum processor state limit will cause a shut down in minutes.

Why does this keep happening? Is my case to blame? Is my CPU just prone to spikes in heat from the abuse I gave it the first two years? Could this be a Power Supply Issue? Any help would be appreciated.