Question CPU Overheating or faulty temp sensor?

Sep 6, 2020
I am running MSI Afterburner and its claiming a constant 150 to 270 deg C at 32% CPU usage. Please help me.

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming edge with Wifi
Cpu: i7-10700
Cpu Fan: Noctua NH-D15 (but only with one fan bc mobo I/O was too big)

Sep 6, 2020
Such temperatures are not possible, neither for CPU or GPU nor anything else.
Seems to be a sensor-bug.
Thanks for the reply! But, I just double checked my MSI BIOS on startup and it shows the temperature at a nice low 32 deg C. The problem is a miscommunication between Afterburner and my mobo I think. Any suggestions on how to fix or other software besides Afterburner to monitor and alter CPU/GPU?

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Thanks for the reply! But, I just double checked my MSI BIOS on startup and it shows the temperature at a nice low 32 deg C. The problem is a miscommunication between Afterburner and my mobo I think. Any suggestions on how to fix or other software besides Afterburner to monitor and alter CPU/GPU?
You can use HWinfo for monitoring in the desktop. While in game, not much except the Afterburner. Probably just reinstall the app and update your driver.

Reactions: Moochiiscream

alexbirdie

Respectable

Sorry, no experience with MSI. I am using an ASUS-board, and do not have such problems with MSI-afterburner ( although using it for overclocking and GPU-temp).

For CPU- and other temps I use coretemp and/or hwinfo64.

Sep 6, 2020
Update BIOS and other software?
I hate MSI.. updated BIOS and now it can’t find my SSD on boot up, I had an old hard drive with Windows OS on it and now it defaults to that. I restarted my computer in hopes that my ssd would appear and now I cannot even F2 into MSI BIOS.

Edit: 2Hours later.. deleted everything off SD, formated it, redownloaded some MSI drivers, cloned hard-drive had clash between hard-drive and cloned ssd bc of Drive ID, turned ssd online auto generated ID, accessed MSI Bios switched to SSD, and now back to trying out BIOS updates to see which works lmao fml.. Any suggestions on how to do this more efficiently?

Last edited:

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
I hate MSI.. updated BIOS and now it can’t find my SSD on boot up, I had an old hard drive with Windows OS on it and now it defaults to that. I restarted my computer in hopes that my ssd would appear and now I cannot even F2 into MSI BIOS.

Edit: 2Hours later.. deleted everything off SD, formated it, redownloaded some MSI drivers, cloned hard-drive had clash between hard-drive and cloned ssd bc of Drive ID, turned ssd online auto generated ID, accessed MSI Bios switched to SSD, and now back to trying out BIOS updates to see which works lmao fml.. Any suggestions on how to do this more efficiently?
Did you make a note of which BIOS version you were originally using? Also, there are just 3 revisions of the BIOS, I don't think it would take a lot of time... On a side note, have considered RMA'ing it?

Sep 6, 2020
Did you make a note of which BIOS version you were originally using? Also, there are just 3 revisions of the BIOS, I don't think it would take a lot of time... On a side note, have considered RMA'ing it?
Honestly did not know that there are only 3 haha. That makes me feel better! Right now I’m working from home and can’t really afford to not have a computer for a few days. Also I dread taking the 24 pin out..

Reactions: thefxgamingrules