Question CPU Overheating over simple tasks

AriasMX

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello!, i recently built a new gaming pc and i think ive been having higher temps than usual, if im just browsing or listening to music it goes all the way to 60/65c and when i play games even in 1080p the cpu reaches 91/93c, i even changed the AIO stock thermal paste and it helped a bit but not much, i use the fans on the AIO as exhaust for my system, here are my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: EVGA FTW3 3080 Ti
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Dominator
AIO: Asus ROG Strix LC II 360mm
Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Mini

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your AIO has 2* sources of cool intake while browsing, etc: the rear grille, and maybe the bottom - depends on whether the gpu's zero rpm function is enabled or not.
When you play games, that drops to one: the rear grille.

Looks like the AIO's soaking up heat faster than it can get rid of it, like I was suspecting.

AriasMX

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
I just changed the fan curve to start at 40 in MSI afterburner and it helped but still is pretty hot GPU is 60 and CPU is 49c Lowest and 64 Highest while browsing and watching videos, is there anyway to improve the way the AIO gets rid of heat? maybe changing the fan from exhaust to intake so the radiator dont heat up as fast?

Maybe changing the fan setup the rear grile is for exhaust same as the AIO, the only intake are the 3 fans on the bottom

Thanks for the help!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe changing the fan setup the rear grile is for exhaust same as the AIO, the only intake are the 3 fans on the bottom
Uhh, that wouldn't work - in fact, it'd be worse. A big part as to why thermals are fine while browsing/movies/etc, and not when gaming is due to the 3080Ti below.
That sucks up some serious power, and why I said earlier that the number of cool intakes drops to 1.

Gonna have to change around the fan setup a little bit if you want to help the AIO.
A)Make the two side fans intake.
B)Flip the AIO's fans to intake, and add a rear exhaust.

AriasMX

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
im gonna give it a go with a new fan setup and check if improves, thanks a lot

Also on another note, under gaming, the CPU reaches 91c and it stays there flat,

Game Tested: Guardians of the Galaxy (1080p, All Max, RTX On)

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also on another note, under gaming, the CPU reaches 91c and it stays there flat,
It should be shutting the PC off on you if it actually is. Max operating temperature for 5900X is 90C: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x
That it's hasn't done so is because it's constantly bouncing off it and resetting the 'thermal limit countdown'; the processors need to sit at or continue climbing for a certain amount of time before they force a shutdown.

alexbirdie

Respectable
It might help to increase the distance between case bottom and floor to enhance the takein of the bottom-fans( about 2-3 cm). It should be easy to get 2 small wooden boards with 2-3 cm thick and give it a try. If it helps, you can think about a more stable, longer lasting solution. And increase the speed of the bottom fan to max ( at least for a test).

AriasMX

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Uhh, that wouldn't work - in fact, it'd be worse. A big part as to why thermals are fine while browsing/movies/etc, and not when gaming is due to the 3080Ti below.
That sucks up some serious power, and why I said earlier that the number of cool intakes drops to 1.

Gonna have to change around the fan setup a little bit if you want to help the AIO.
A)Make the two side fans intake.
B)Flip the AIO's fans to intake, and add a rear exhaust.
i changed the side fans to intake, and while playing yesterday i reached 91C once in a 4 to 5 hour sesion and just for a spike less than a 2 or 3 secs, and was playing at 85C the whole night, im guessing i just need to improve the airflow and buy another fan

AriasMX

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
It might help to increase the distance between case bottom and floor to enhance the takein of the bottom-fans( about 2-3 cm). It should be easy to get 2 small wooden boards with 2-3 cm thick and give it a try. If it helps, you can think about a more stable, longer lasting solution. And increase the speed of the bottom fan to max ( at least for a test).
for sure gonna try that, thanks for the tip, going to get some wooden stands or something

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It didnt had any, it came with pre applied thermal paste, i even tried to change the stock thermal paste it came with, but it didnt worked
The pump has a clear plastic shell underneath, that should have been removed in order to mount the pump head to the cpu.
What did you mean you "even tried to change the stock thermal paste it came with, but it didnt worked"? The paste is an uber thin sticky gray stuff that wipes right off, but you should have either just used it as is or wiped and replaced the paste with fresh. Any halfway measures will result in an overheated cpu....