cpu overheating problems

Oct 11, 2018
I've recently experienced high temperature increases in my cpu temperature. The temps were ranging from 65 degrees at idle to mid 90's when playing games.

I took the cooler out of my case and cleaned off the old thermal paste with methylated spirits as well as the cpu, reapplied thermal grizzly kryonaught thermal paste onto the cpu.

At first boot, temps were looking good, at idle it would sit at around 45-50 degrees which was a large drop from the last temps, and playing less demanding games like league of legends put my cpu at around 60 degrees. These temps looked good to me and I thought I had fixed the problem, until I launched up GTA 5 for a bit and my cpu temps were skyrocketing back to mid 90 degrees and would only cool down when I tabbed out of the game or stopped playing the game entirely. I felt the pumps of the cooler when the cpu was overheating and the pumps felt extremely hot closer to the cpu. What might be causing this problem? Is there a way I can fix heat coming from the pumps. I'm pretty sure the pump is working properly as it vibrates and feels hot to the touch.

My cpu is an i5 4690k clocked at 3.7ghz at 1.025V and cooler is Corsair h100i GTX. I've heard a lot of negative things about this particular cooler.

Is there anything wrong with my system that may be causing this problem?, how come my cpu is overheating to mid 90's again even though I cleaned about the radiator, fans and reapplied new thermal paste?

When reinstalling, I made sure to take into account the amount of thermal paste I put on (pea sized drop and pushing the water block more firmly for a more snug contact with the cpu. Even after doing this, my temps still shoot to mid 90's playing higher demanding titles like GTA 5.

Solution
Do you still have the stock cooler from your 4690k? It sounds like your pump might be bad, which means that you would have to replace the entire cooler. If it is bad, the block will be hot but the radiator will not be blowing warm air. Make 100% sure that the pump is plugged in and has power. You could confirm this if you have the stock cooler on hand and the CPU temps are lower when you install it.
Do you still have the stock cooler from your 4690k? It sounds like your pump might be bad, which means that you would have to replace the entire cooler. If it is bad, the block will be hot but the radiator will not be blowing warm air. Make 100% sure that the pump is plugged in and has power. You could confirm this if you have the stock cooler on hand and the CPU temps are lower when you install it.

Solution
My h100i died a death as the temps started going up.
If you still got the warranty and receipt, claim for a new one. It is the pump going.
If you touch the pipes you will find they are really warm, which is pump failure.

EDIT - I updated to a H115i - fantastic and so so quiet!
Guru3d did a good review on it. (check the comparisons)

Oct 11, 2018
yea i just went and bought a cryorig h7, i heard it was a fairly good cooler for its price, cheers for the help

Oct 11, 2018

the fans on the radiator is connector to a splitter connected to the water block. The water block then has another plug that goes into the cpu_fan header on the motherboard. The logo on the water block has led, seems to power on and link even reads its rpm. the fans function normally as well. When cpu overheats, there is noticeably large increase in fan spin and overall loudness coming from my computer, which probably tells me 1. its trying to plummet its temps down 2. my fans are trying to cool down harder. My radiator fans are on the front of my case, setup to pull air in while my case fans push air out, and this setup has good cool air circulation performance so I don't think its an airflow problem. With the radiator, I don't feel hot air coming from it when the cpu is overheating, but the pump at the cpu feels hot and the led of the water block logo turns red indicating a cpu temp that is ranging from 70 or higher