cpu overheating resulting in shutting of my pc

dribbles

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
i have an amd 3870k with the stick cooler on it, and 2 weeks ago while playing battlefield 3 my pc shut off. I thought it was a issue with the game itself and re installed it, however the problem still persisted. And the same thing happened in arma 3. i stress tested my pc amd all the temps were fine except my cpu which got to 83 degrees Celsius then shutting off. My issue besides that is i haven't done anything to my cpu or heatsink and i have added 2 case fans to my pc.

my power supply is a cosair tx650 so i dont think its a power supply issue.

Solution
83C is well above the safe temps for an APU... and the source of your problem. i'd get yourself an aftermarket cpu cooler. it's summer time, your ambient temps are probably high, which is why you're now overheating.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
global warming?

on a more relevant note, do a PRIME95 test for an hour and keep track of temps

stock cooler not supposed to give you such high speed. ensure that the cpu fans are spinning. also what is your GPU? it is venting hot air in the chasing, its not gonna help matters even with fan assuming airfllow is obstructed with other components.

dribbles

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

i am getting a cooler master haf 212 however i dont want to get it and have the same problem. Also i have had this pc for about a year now and it has never had this problem, even last summer