Question CPU overheating Ryzen 9 3900x

Mar 16, 2020
Recently I bought a new PC, (first time I ever built a PC). After some difficulties I finaly made it, and I think heatsink is mounted properly. But my CPU is overheating (Ryzen 9 3900x). Iddle temperatures are around 50 degrees °C, sometimes even higher. In games when its supposed to be 60 degrees °C its around 80.
I cant go to store or servis, cuz my country has shops closed thanks to corona.
What should I do?

Mar 16, 2020
Use HWINFO64 or Ryzen Master to monitor temperature. Remove and clean off cooler and remount with fresh thermal paste.
Im now using ryzen master, and its around 5-10 celsius better, but still 10 degrees over normal, Ive red something about ubdating bios, because older versions of my motherboards bios can cause this broblem.

In games when its supposed to be 60 degrees °C its around 80.
Who ever claimed that a 3900X is "supposed to" be running at 60C under load? Maybe with something like a high-end water cooler one might manage those temps, but with the stock cooler or most other coolers, you probably are not going to achieve temperatures that low. 80C is a bit warm, but well within the limits of what a modern processor can safely operate at.

I can just touch my case amd I know theres something wrong with temerature
If your case is getting warm, that's not the fault of your CPU's cooler. The heat in the case would be heat that's already been removed from the CPU and other components, after all. If your case is getting warm, that may be an indication of your case fans and the airflow through your system possibly being inadequate for the hardware installed. And what graphics card are you using? Most mid-range and higher graphics cards will be putting out more heat than your CPU while gaming. And is any of this hardware overclocked?

Im now using ryzen master, and its around 5-10 celsius better, but still 10 degrees over normal
If you are getting temperatures around 70C while gaming, that's perfectly normal, unless perhaps you have some high-end aftermarket cooler that you feel should be doing better.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 9, 2020
Recently I bought a new PC, (first time I ever built a PC). After some difficulties I finaly made it, and I think heatsink is mounted properly. But my CPU is overheating (Ryzen 9 3900x). Iddle temperatures are around 50 degrees °C, sometimes even higher. In games when its supposed to be 60 degrees °C its around 80.
I cant go to store or servis, cuz my country has shops closed thanks to corona.
What should I do?

As others have said correctly.

Ryzen 3900x is a hot chip and often a normal temp idling is between 40-50.
80 degrees in game is fine, it is on the warmer side but definitely not be dangerous the chip that has a safety limity of 95 and will just throttle anyway.

If you want you can lower your voltage offset by 0.5 as many people, myself included, feel the motherboards over voltage the proessor.

So you would go into bios look for Vcore Offset and try -0.2 if it is stable at that offset then try -0.3 and so on but -0.5 should be fine. Lowering the voltage will lower the temperatures. The reason it shoots high is when the CPU does precission boost. Not to be confused with PBO which is precision boost override which is disabled in stock.

OTHER MAJOR POINTS:
i). Some software like iCue has been known to cause major issues causing the CPU to go mental in precision boost and get hot. I had it and taking it off drops my temp by 10c.
ii) Make sure you have the ryzen balanced powerplan selected in your windows 10. Press Win+i then search for "choose a power plan" .

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
The stock cooler that came with mine (Wraith prism) keeps it cool enough with the max i've seen being 82 degrees but it's loud so i am going to attempt to put a noctua cooler in.

TRENDING THREADS