CPU overheating (?) since new PSU and GPU

Jul 6, 2018
I'll try to keep this short, but it's a long and complicated issue.

I recently upgraded from a GTX 750ti to a GTX 770 and bought two different PSUs to try out with it - a Corsair CX600 and a AeroCool Strike X 600w

Since installing these things my CPU is hugely more hot, especially during games. Now the CPU (i5 2300) isn't getting crazy hot - up to 76 c ish - but I can feel the extra heat and smell it too and as soon as the temps get to near 60c I notice big performance issues - frequent but short freezes (1-3 seconds) and very slow loading times.

I have-
- reseated the heatsink and applied new thermal paste.
- Done a Memtest (all fine)
- swapped PSUs (same on both the the new PSUs)
- Bought an extra case fan
- Set all fans to max
- Removed case lid
- Reseated the GPU
- Checked voltages

All these things mean that I now have temperatures that max at around 61c when gaming (with case open and all fans blazing) but I'm still getting those performance issues at around 60c and obvioulsy it isn't pleasant gaming on a computer that sounds like it's about to go in to orbit.

My last hope is that I have ordered an aftermarket cpu fan, but I wouldn't think that would be necessary unless I'm overclocking (which I'm not).

And yes, I know that the PSUs are low quality, but A: I can't afford anything better; and B: I don't see how both PSUs would produce the same results.

Also shouldn't an i5 2300 be totally fine at 60c?

I have a multitude of data and monitoring screenshots I can provide if necessary.

Please help! I wish I'd just stayed with my low level 750ti at the moment (or got an PS4).

I dont think that the PSU is the Problem.

A GTX 770 is producing way more heat than a GTX 750ti.
I think that the hot air from the 770 is going up the CPU Cooler and thats why your cpu does get hot (or hotter then before?)
Usually even 80 Degree shouldnt cause your CPU to throttle or anything like that.

I would suggest you download HWinfo or MSI Afterburner to take a lot how your GPU is doing.
Maybe it is the GPU that is overheating or something like that?

Other then that, did you reinstall the gpu driver after swapping the gpus?

Jul 6, 2018

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I forgot to say: I've downloaded about every monitoring software out there! There is a lot more heat coming from the 770, but I've monitored it and the temps seem to be okay. I've also stress tested the GPU using Furmark and that didn't show any problems.

I have also removed all the old drivers using DDU and reinstalled for the 770.

I've pretty much read every forum or post about this kind of thing but most seem to be from a faulty PSU or poorly seated heatsink.

Showing the random freezes (note no thermal throttling)

Watching HD video on old PSU (no GPU):

Same but with new PSU:

And again with new PSU and GTX 770

I might be wrong but i like the PSUs Corsairs has and i newer had problems.
Sure their PSUs arent as good ans Seasonics or Superflowers but still great in my opinion.
Not the mention that 600 Watt is more than enought.
I was running 780(ti) and a G4560 Pentium with a 450 Watt PSU and i had no issues...

You could try taking the CPU out and reseating it, applying new Thermalpaste and reinstall the cooler.
Maybe a pin isnt making good contact with the cpu.

Other then that i dont really know what could be wrong since temps are fine and all drivers are up to date.

These 2 drops in CPU utilization are definitly a little bit unusual..

Jul 6, 2018

Yeah, though I see a similar thing with the GPU, though I decided that that was probably a symptom of the game freezing, rather than a cause. Though I could be wrong!

The short srops in that graphs are the freezes. Some are when I came out of the game to view the monitoring.

Mhhh... i know these little freezes...
From time to time i buy some not working gpus and try to repair them.

I guess you bought that GPU used or?
I think it might be faulty and the GPU is causing these little freezes.

Can you try your PC with the Same PSU but with your GTX 750 ti?
Or maybe borough a GPU from a friend or so.

Jul 6, 2018
Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing I haven't tried!

The 770 was bought used and I've unfortunately sold the 750 already. Wouldn't a problem with the GPU show up in GPU stress test though?

Unfortunately I don't have any other gpus and nobody to borrow one from! The only other option is to try and buy another one and then sell it on when I'm done with it.

I had GPUs that made no Problem for like 30 minutes in Furmark but then froze for like 4 Seconds. After that the GPU was running fine for another like 30 - 45 Minutes and froze again for 4 seconds like over and over again.

I dont think that the CPU is the issue since it did fine before you swapped out the GPU.
Unless you damaged the CPU or the Motherboard when you swapped the GPU i dont know why the CPU would be faulty after that.

Jul 6, 2018

Just been trying to play Everybodys Gone To the Rapture and it was okay for a bit then started freezing for a second every few seconds making it all unplayable. You can see that in this image:

It was also showing this weird thing that I also noticed in Battlefield 4 (but doesn't seem to happen in BF1) : Textures are taking an eternity to load in. This didn't happen at all before my upgrade so it's not a HDD thing. I also notice that general loading times seem to be very very slow.

It's all very weird.

I think I will see what happens with the new cooler and if that doesn't solve things look at getting another GPU, at least to be able to test against this one.

Jul 6, 2018
I'm pretty satisfied now that it is a problem with the CPU overheating, although I didn't think 60c is particularly hot.

I bought a new CPU heatsink and fan and this now keeps the CPU below 54c when gaming. I haven't had any freezing since.

I am still running my system with the side case off and laid on its side so as to allow heat to rise vertically away from all components and I also have my fans set to blow inwards towards the heatsink so it's not ideal.

I now have two further conundrums:

1.Is my CPU a bit faulty?

2. Do I need a better case?

My current case is a bog standard workstation case with poor airflow, limited space, and little ventilation, so this is quite a high probability.

I aim to get a better 'gaming' case and see if that reduces temperatures further.