cpu overheating to 90c and makes some weird noice

bharath747

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Alright, i have a 7 year old pc sporting a e2220 with no graphics card. since it doesnt have a dedicated gpu, i use this mainly for watching videos and school works. recently for the past 2 months i've been receiving loud noise from my pc. now i found out my cpu was frying at 90celcius. is there anything i could do to lower the temps? i'll be building a new rig in an year so i have to stick with this pc for a while.

Solution
Well you could stop performing tasks that stress it (like watching videos apparently), replace your current thermal paste, or try and find better after-market heatsink for the CPU.

Thermal paste wears out eventually, so that alone might do the trick.

The e2220 is a LGA 755 socket type. If you're interested in a 'beefier' heatsink here is a budget CPU heatsink that will still perform MUCH better than any stock heatsink you might have, and fully supports the LGA 755 socket:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $24.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-22 12:58 EDT-0400

**Before...

Luminary

Admirable
Well you could stop performing tasks that stress it (like watching videos apparently), replace your current thermal paste, or try and find better after-market heatsink for the CPU.

Thermal paste wears out eventually, so that alone might do the trick.

The e2220 is a LGA 755 socket type. If you're interested in a 'beefier' heatsink here is a budget CPU heatsink that will still perform MUCH better than any stock heatsink you might have, and fully supports the LGA 755 socket:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $24.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-22 12:58 EDT-0400

**Before buying and aftermarket heatsink take a look at it's height (the EVO is 159.00mm) and make sure you have room in your case for it!

Solution

bharath747

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
okay i'll try to get the 212 evo, hopefully i'll also make use of it in my new build. but the thing is, i havent cleaned my pc since 5 years ._. does dust affect cpu temps? also it seems like the psu fan is also making noise quite few times, does it mean its gonna melt all the other components?

Dust buildup can affect performance, but there has to be a lot of it. Still worth cleaning, it's free. Is the noise in your PSU a high pitched whine or is it the fan?

Luminary

Admirable
Yep, as chemmajorp already said, cleaning might help a bit.

The PSU fan...that's a different issue. What PSU model do you have? Some have plenty of failsafes that will prevent any damage to the rest of your rig, others will quite literally burn it down.

Luminary

Admirable
Yep, if nothing else backup any and all valuable hard-drive data from your drives to an external location that doesn't stay connected to your unit. If that 180w PSU fails there's no way to know if it will damage your other components as well.

Also, do give your PC a good dust with some compressed air. The CPU heatsinks and even PSU internals do get very dusty over time so keeping them clean will help them perform as well as they can given their age.