CPU overheating under low loads I7-6700K

Alexander_104

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Hello,
My CPU has been up in the 60-100 Celsius range under 5-10% loads(jumping from 60 to 100 to 80 to all over the place), idle runs at 32C. its not overclocked, fan is stock, fan RPM is at 2600RPM, and ive gotten one blue screen so far playing GTA5.

Im thinking of getting watercooled corseair H110I to see if that helps, but i want to know why. this is my 5th computer build in 10 years now, and ive never had this problem. everything is installed correctly. im checking my computer temps on realtemp.

I7-6700K

Solution

Although I agree that the Cryorig H7 will do a good job, 83°C isn't exactly "cool". Whoever quoted that number most likely didn't provide enough information concerning vital variables for anyone to make accurate comparisons. Remember that variables such as ambient temperature, load testing software, Vcore, thermal compound, case, cooling fans and curves all affect Core temperatures, which still doesn't account for differences in individual CPU samples.

Keep in mind that no two processors are identical; each processor is unique...

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
What cooler did you use? I7-6700k does not come with a stock cooler and you have to get a fairly decent (even if cheap) aftermarket cooler. You can not simply reuse another intel stock cooler. Even a low profile but decent cooler could have worked.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Alexander_104,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

The cooler shown in the Amazon link is NOT a 6600K / 6700K or 7600K / 7700K cooler; it looks like the universal 95 Watt cooler packaged with Socket 115x 77, 84, 88 and 95 Watt Quad Core CPU's.

Here's a link to Intel's 130 Watt cooler sold separately for the 91 Watt 6600K / 6700K or 7600K / 7700K: - Intel’s Skylake Cooler - http://vr-zone.com/articles/this-is-what-intels-first-cpu-cooler-for-skylake-looks-like/97189.html

Regardless of which cooler you actually have, they both use the inferior and problematic push-pins, which are all too often the cause for high Core temperatures due to poor contact pressure. It's deceivingly tricky to get the push-pins properly inserted completely through the motherboard and latched.

I suggest that you check the back of your motherboard to see if all four push-pins are indeed completely seated. Use a strong light and inspect each pin very carefully, comparing each pin with the others.

CT :sol:

Alexander_104

Prominent
May 3, 2017

ill go get it on amazon

Alexander_104

Prominent
May 3, 2017

ive looked into better coolers, just dont wana spend $90 on a cooler, when i could go buy a water cooler for it. ive had no problem with intel stock coolers in the past with heavy gaming on loads up to 90-100% and the cpu was only reaching max 60-70 celcius and back down to 20c idle.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
The i7-6700k can run fairly hot and one of the reasons why Intel decided not to ship it with a cooler. A $90 air cooler will absolutely own $90 AIO (water cooled as you call it), AIO only gets great at certain price point like >$150 and there are risk of pump failure, fan failure, leakage and coolant needs replacement (you can do this fairly easy on certain AIO). Air cooler only risk is fan failure but if you are looking at serious $90 cooler their heatsink alone could probably handle gaming temp with just the case fans.

Alexander_104

Prominent
May 3, 2017

but will intels? because the one i have currently ( amazon link) will fail to keep the cpu cool during gaming, as you can see the heatsink on the intels one looks a lot better, also i have never had a problem with the CPU temp raising this much on any of intels coolers.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Neither of them are good. Just buy a $35 cooler like Cooler Master Hyper 212X or Cryorig H7. If you willing to spend a little more Noctua NH-U12S would be very good for your usage. Heck even some low profile <$30 from Cryorig or other maker would beat Intel by large margin.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Have you actually checked the push-pins? All it takes is one pin that's not completely secured.

Were your past Intel processors Quad Cores with Hyperthreading? It makes a big difference.

If you don't intend to run a high overclock, then you don't need to spend $90. The Cryorig H7 is a decent aftermarket cooler for just $35.00: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565

Alexander_104

Prominent
May 3, 2017

every pin is in place, ill check it again once im done with work. ill also send you pictures, but from what you have told me about the fan i have, im leaning towards it being that because i do have a high powered cpu

Alexander_104

Prominent
May 3, 2017
i decided to check out some videos of the Cryorig H7 and that seems to beat most of them out(of course not the one that costs almost $200) but itll do a job with it overclocked to 4.5 stably at a cool 83c. thank you so much for your help, my case has a space so i can fit it in from the back and the front for an easy install

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Although I agree that the Cryorig H7 will do a good job, 83°C isn't exactly "cool". Whoever quoted that number most likely didn't provide enough information concerning vital variables for anyone to make accurate comparisons. Remember that variables such as ambient temperature, load testing software, Vcore, thermal compound, case, cooling fans and curves all affect Core temperatures, which still doesn't account for differences in individual CPU samples.

Keep in mind that no two processors are identical; each processor is unique in voltage tolerance, thermal behavior and overclocking potential, which is often referred to as the "silicon lottery" or luck of the draw.

Your results may be better than 83°C.

If you'd like to learn how to properly test your Core temperatures, then read this Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution

TRENDING THREADS