[SOLVED] CPU overheating underload, PC shutting down due to this

Jan 15, 2022
Hi everyone,

I wish to ask please: I have a Ryzen 3 5600X, cooled with an MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R and have changed its thermal paste (Hydronaut by Thermal Grizzly) and applied enough to cover the CPU fully when the cooler is pressed.
I have noticed that on idle, cpu temp is about 58 deg. Celsius (CPU load is around 12%). I tried running Rocket League and it runs with no issues at 72 deg. Celsius on the menu (CPU load max. 35%). When I try to run Assassin's Creed Syndicate for example, I can see the temperatures spike up way above 90, 95 and then the PC powers off.

The case is a MSI MPG Gungnir 110R with 3 front fans, 1 back, and the 2 AIO cooler fans on the top. GPU is Nvidia GT 1030 2gb (passive cooling). With regards to dust, the case does not seem to have anywhere except a bit on the bottom, but nothing too drastic. RAM temps 32 deg. Celsius next to CPU with Rocket League open.

I have also noticed that sometimes on startup only, a buzzing sound lasting about 2 seconds and then fades off is heard. During this, the EZ Debug LED on the MSI motherboard is lit, specifically on VGA.
Is there any solution suggested for this please?

Thanks in advance

Solution
There's lots of MSI MAG CoreLiquid threads. The coolers aren't very good. They appear to fail early, and quite often.
The pump is also in that little black cube in the radiator, not in the water block, so by having the radiator mounted at the top, you just can't avoid exposing the pump to air.
Unfortunately, the front panel on the Gungnir 110R isn't an ideal location for an AIO radiator either.

Just get another cooler that isn't Msi MAG, Kraken M22, or Fractal Design Lumen.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's lots of MSI MAG CoreLiquid threads. The coolers aren't very good. They appear to fail early, and quite often.
The pump is also in that little black cube in the radiator, not in the water block, so by having the radiator mounted at the top, you just can't avoid exposing the pump to air.
Unfortunately, the front panel on the Gungnir 110R isn't an ideal location for an AIO radiator either.

Just get another cooler that isn't Msi MAG, Kraken M22, or Fractal Design Lumen.

Solution