[SOLVED] CPU overheating while idling

Mar 21, 2020
Cpu: i5 8600k @3.6 ghz
Motherboard: asus z370 p 1151
Gpu: gtx 1050 ti
Fan : Corsair H45 Aio

It started when I was installing new mouse and my pc crashed due to cpu over temperature error. I reset cmos to get it to boot and then noticed 70-95° C temp even when almost no programs were running . Cpu frequency jumps from 0.8ghz to 4.2 ghz ( I havent overclocked ever) the usage stays around 5-6%

I have tried: 1)Cleaning components to remove dust . 2) Scanning in malwarebytes (Results shows Clean) . 3) Removing cpu and reapplying thermal paste 4) Uninstalling any unnecessary softwares
I have checked the Aio pump and fan it seems to be working as before . I used to get around 67° C max when gaming
I have searched many threads but no solution worked for me . Any suggestions are really appreciated

Solution
I'd suspect that either the AIO cooler is gunked up and needs replacing. Or the AIO isn't torqued down properly.
I would suggest trying to retorque the cooler. How old is your cooler?

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I'd suspect that either the AIO cooler is gunked up and needs replacing. Or the AIO isn't torqued down properly.
I would suggest trying to retorque the cooler. How old is your cooler?

Solution
Mar 21, 2020
I affixed the cooler just the other day and it doesnt seem wobbly and is firm in contact with the cpu , how can I troublecheck it for the problems you mentioned ?
The cooler is 2 years old .

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
There may be guides on how to troubleshoot your particular cooler. I would suggest removing the cooler and inspecting the mounting area for misalignment or damage.

Its possible that you may be able to remove the cover from the IHS and inspect it for clogging once you remove it from the PC. There may also be a drainage port or something similar where you can refill it. I would google your cooler and look for guides on disassembly and troubleshooting.

Reactions: hjrisdabest
Your AIO may be clogged up, keeping the fluid from circulating.
Normally, you can feel the pump operating if you touch it.
After 2 years, I imagine it is no longer is under warranty.

A H45 is not a particularly effective cooler.
A single 120mm radiator does not have sufficient cooling surface to let you get the max out of your 8600K.

What is your case?
If you have 160mm available for a cooler, I would suggest a twin tower air cooler.
I use a noctua NH-D15s with a 8600K@5.0.
A simple CPU-Z stress test maxes out at 65c.

Last edited:
If your case is suitable, you might be better off with an air cooler.
They will be just as effective, be cheaper, quieter, be more reliable, and will not leak.
It is only when you get into the 360 size aio coolers that you can do substantially better from a cooling point of view.