[SOLVED] CPU overheating while it's not

Jul 8, 2019
I have a problem with my CPU overheating while it's not. When I'm stress testing the CPU it goes from to 50°c to 92°c in 20 seconds. I've tried mounting the cooler 3 times, another psu, reset BIOS or update. Still exactly the same results. Even when I'm at my BIOS the temperature goes from 50°c to 72°c slowly and it shutsdown. The only option I right now have is undervolting from 1.37v to 1.32v so it helps a bit not to shutdown. Hot air does come out of the cooler. Is it maybe a vaulty sensor? Is there a way to fix this?

Specs
FX 8350
990FXA gd80
Cryorig h7
620w seasonic another 650w from same brand.

Last edited:
Solution
That's about twice the amount of TIM i would use. But I doubt that is the problem. And under volting won't solve the problem, just lower performance.

I can't help but suspect there is something wrong with the cooler installation. In the one photo, everything looks canted a bit. Is that just the angle you took the pic at? Or is the cooler slightly leaning to one side?

I presume everything is snug. Not able to move the cooler around.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have the stock AMD cooler still around for the FX 8350? If so, put the retention bracket back on and test using it. The simple snap on cooler will eliminate any possible mounting problems that may be the issue. If the high temps continue, I would have to think the CPU has reached its EoL.

Jul 8, 2019
Do you have the stock AMD cooler still around for the FX 8350? If so, put the retention bracket back on and test using it. The simple snap on cooler will eliminate any possible mounting problems that may be the issue. If the high temps continue, I would have to think the CPU has reached its EoL.

Okay, I will update you if the stock cooler works

Jul 8, 2019
Be sure your board is allowing the cooler fan to come up to speed as needed. Idle speed for the stock cooler should be in the 2000's if I remember correctly.

Edit: That should have read "in the 3000's".

Unfortunately I don't have the brackets for the stock cooler. What I have noticed is when the motherboard is horizontal it get's it gets to 80°c max at 1.37v. When it gets vertical it goes to 90°c really fast and it shuts down. So It must be the cooler I already remounted it 4 times, but still it doesn't get to 60-70°c like I want it to.

Here are some pics

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/7595/tiOc33.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's about twice the amount of TIM i would use. But I doubt that is the problem. And under volting won't solve the problem, just lower performance.

I can't help but suspect there is something wrong with the cooler installation. In the one photo, everything looks canted a bit. Is that just the angle you took the pic at? Or is the cooler slightly leaning to one side?

I presume everything is snug. Not able to move the cooler around.

Solution