CPU Overheating? Why...?

PC Drew02

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
Hello! So, I build my PC about a year ago, and have had absolutley no complaints, until now. I shut down my computer for the night, and booted it back up the next day. It took a little longer than usual to boot up, but I wasn't concerned about it. I launched R6 Siege, and that took a little longer to boot up too. I started playing but noticed I have a massive FPS drop and it was incredibly hard to play.

On the lowest settings it wouldn't go above 30 fps, when I can run medium/high on about 60-80 fps normally. I figured maybe it was just cause my PC had just booted up. So, the next day I tried again and still noticed the FPS drop, so I decided to look into it. I hadn't recently installed (within a month or so) any new hardware or drivers so I was confused.

I downloaded HWMonitor to check CPU temps, and got pretty scared. My CPU was running at about 95 degrees celcius, on idle. So, first thought, I ran a malware check, for some threats, quarentined them, took care of it, and still its runing at about 85 degrees celcius. And its about 75% CPU usage on idle... This doesn't seem right to me.

It has crashed a couple times recently as well. What confuses me most is that it was like an "overnight" change, I have never had a problem like this at all. I looked in the case and my components were not dusty at all. I have 4 large fans running in this case, and have the stock CPU cooler on.

The inside of the case is almost cool (temperature wise) because of the airflow. I have not overclocked the CPU at all. Right now I feel like it has to be a malware. I recently installed some second hand hard drives over a month ago, but I'm not sure if that would cause a problem. What do you recommend for the next step? I would really like to fix this quickly and cheaply if possible. The CPU is an AMD Athlon 860k quad core. Thank you

[Wall of text edited to make it easier to read - - - Moderator]

Solution
It's not too low. You'll generally see throttling in the 12-<10'C range. It's maybe a little warmer than I'd hope for, but with the stock cooler.... there's not a lot you can do.

It may have simply been a malware issue - just keep an eye on Task Manager for any specific task using up your resources (especially ones you don't recognize!)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can you identify anything using your CPU resources within task manager? That would be the place to start.

Additionally, I assume you mean the Athlon X4 860K? I would recommend downloading and using AMD Overdrive and using the thermal margin to understand your CPU temps (works backwards to 0'C), as it's the only truly reliable way to measure AMD CPU temps.

PC Drew02

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Yup, sorry. It is the Athlon. I will try using AMD overdrive. Also, there are absolutely no other programs running in task manager, other than HWMonitor.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I would open up task manager to see what process is using your cpu at "idle". When you said cpu temps at "idle" was at 95C i'm assuming it wasn't really idle. If it was idle, I would check the cooler, it might have gotten loose or the fan is dead.

PC Drew02

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

The only thing running was my HWMonitor to check temps. And the fan is still securely attached and running fine.

PC Drew02

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Okay, so in the BIOS on startup, I had about 60 degrees Celcius. It started at 40 and very slowly climbed up to 60 and stay around there.
According to AMD Overdrive, I have about a 36-37 thermal margin. I'm still not 100%sure how to read it, but are these temps dangerous or not?

PC Drew02

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Its about 36 on mostly idle, only a browser or two running as well. I just "stress tested" it. Ran R6 Siege and I only saw it drop below 20 degree thermal margin for a few seconds. FPS was back to normal and seemed fine, (because of the malware I quarentined?) as long as 20 degrees thermal margin isnt too low to use, I think il be okay.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's not too low. You'll generally see throttling in the 12-<10'C range. It's maybe a little warmer than I'd hope for, but with the stock cooler.... there's not a lot you can do.

It may have simply been a malware issue - just keep an eye on Task Manager for any specific task using up your resources (especially ones you don't recognize!)

Solution

PC Drew02

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Thank you so much for the help! I will probably be looking into an aftermarket cooler, just to be safe.

Latest posts