Question CPU overheating with aio

Jun 4, 2020
I need help ASAP. I just got my build mostly complete I’m just waiting for my 3080 to finish my build. While in my bios setting up my pc fro first time I noticed I was having extremely high cpu temps i watched it go from 27c to 80c within minutes before turning my pc off in fear of any damage . For reference I’m using a 10700k on a rog strix z490-e Mobil and using a kraken z63 aio to cool my cpu. I also noticed that the temps of the air itself was pretty high. While installing windows the aio read “38c liquid” then rose up to 41c, all the way up to 50c in bios menu. I did my best to make sure pump is working I felt the tubes and felt a small “buzz” and the radiator fans are working.. Please help! I can’t even boot my pc to make sure it’s ok! Also if it helps my bios does have a readout for the pump so i assume it’s working.. so why are my temps so high?! Please help!
Setup
-strix z490-e mobo
-750 80plus gold psu
-kraken z63 aio
-32g dominator ram
-Samsung 2t ssd

Reactions: Gaming7Ray
Jun 13, 2020
Dont worry .. cpu will not fry....it will automatically shutdown to cool down.
in bios cpu temperatures hike ..but not that much...
check if you have seated cooler properly and also check for paste

Jun 4, 2020
I took it off and had way to much thermal paste on there I cleaned it up re applied a smaller amount and remounted it.. it helped a little then immediately hiked back up.. in new to pc building so I’m wondering if I should bring it to a professional to have them install it..

Sep 13, 2020
Check your way of the AIO, make sure that the air flow is clear and sound, i e. make sure it does not broil in its own juices. Check the fan speeds. For your system an AIO is not even needed unless to plan to OC.

The only time I would consider an AIO would be if I wanted to highly overclock CPU and GPU, in that case I would go with something like Airplex Giant to make my system noiseless. Other than that most AIOs are pointless since the OC speed gain is almost never used, purely Epeen and the noise reduction is mostly offset too. What difference does it make to utilize 2 140 mm Fans directly on my Cooler or 2-3 120 mm fans on my fluid heat sink. They make the same noise.

Jun 4, 2020
I may switch over to air cooled for now until I can get a better case/send my aio in.. there’s a bigger issue at play I think. Maybe sensors aren’t working correctly? Because when the readout says the fluid in the aio is at 50c and yet the radiator itself is still cold.. I’d assume at that temp even with fans on the radiator should have some warmth to it.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I may switch over to air cooled for now until I can get a better case/send my aio in.. there’s a bigger issue at play I think. Maybe sensors aren’t working correctly? Because when the readout says the fluid in the aio is at 50c and yet the radiator itself is still cold.. I’d assume at that temp even with fans on the radiator should have some warmth to it.

Looks like a problem with the pump. Or some air in the aio.

My radiator is top-mounted, and during heavy CPU-load I can feel, that it becomes pretty warm. A cold radiator is somehow suspicious for me.

Jun 4, 2020
Yeah even the tubes are cool to the touch.. I mean maybe the sensors are wrong and it just doing it’s job well.. but it’s weird to me that my bios shows the pump is moving but there’s no evidence of it.

Jun 4, 2020
If it helps the cable from the aio that’s suppose to be used to plug in the radiator fans would work for me I had to plug the fans directly into the headers on my mobo for them to turn on at all