CPU overheating with CM Hyper 212 LED

vladiator

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Hi

I built a new system with a stock 8700K and Strix Z370-E MB. A few days ago I noticed that my CPU runs quite hot - high 30s Celsius in idle, and up to 90s during benchmarking or while moving Photoshop's exposure sliders in Camera Raw.

So I replaced the stock CPU cooler with a new CM Hyper 212 LED. Yet, I see very little improvement (using HWInfo):

• ■ While testing it out playing Witcher 3 for 5 mins, CPU package hit 64 average and 85 max. Individual cores were in 55-60C Average
    ■ During the benchmark, every core hit more than 90C max during the CPU part of the test.
    ■ While holding and moving Photoshop's exposure slides (continuously for about 5 sec), a couple of cores got to above 90C
    ■ When idle, cores stay at about 35-28C.
My case is Corsair 780T, and the only other fans are those which came with the case.

Since all of my components are new, it cannot be dust. What could be the reason and what should I try out next? (I have already tried doing the Fan Tuning via BIOS and AI Suite.)

Solution
Thanks both.

I found the multi core enhancement option in BIOS and disabled it. It seems to have worked! My idle core temps went down by 1-2 degrees, and during the benchmark and my own "Photoshop test", all of the cores stayed under 70 max.

Thanks a lot, hopefully this issue is sorted. Although now I wish that I got Noctua, every time I open that case to do something there I am afraid that I will destroy it. :) So, hopefully, this can wait.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

The 8700K doesn't have any stock cooler, not sure what you were using previously. A 212 EVO isn't really cut out for cooling an 8700K, your results seem like more or less expected behaviour to me. You might want to check that your motherboard doesn't have multi core enhancement (or equivalent) enabled, as this is a feature many boards include that allows all cores to turbo up to the max turbo usually reserved for single core loads (basically an auto-overclock). This would exacerbate your problem.

Idle temps looks fine.

Do not worry too much.
The processor will throttle or shut down if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

As said before, the hyper212 is a budget cooler, and really not one of the best in it's class. Just more well known.

Your case is very nice with good airflow.
A Noctua NH-D15s would fit nicely and cool as well as any aio around.

vladiator

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks both.

I found the multi core enhancement option in BIOS and disabled it. It seems to have worked! My idle core temps went down by 1-2 degrees, and during the benchmark and my own "Photoshop test", all of the cores stayed under 70 max.

Thanks a lot, hopefully this issue is sorted. Although now I wish that I got Noctua, every time I open that case to do something there I am afraid that I will destroy it. :) So, hopefully, this can wait.

Solution