Question CPU overheating with low usage even in idle

Feb 23, 2024
My CPU keeps overheating while idle and giving poor performance. Instantly after turning on the PC, CPU temps go up to 80 degrees. I have tried changing the thermal paste, updating BIOS, installing new drivers, and everything. I thought my AIO pump might be broken and not working, but after giving power just to the pump, you can hear noises coming out of it that I would say are normal. If anyone knows how to fix these issues or what it could be, please tell me. The strange thing is that the PC only goes crazy sometimes. Sometimes when I turn it on, everything is fine with low temps around 35-45 degrees, but sometimes after turning it on, the CPU and CPU package are at 80-110 degrees. I've had the PC for the last 3 years, and it's been fine until about 3 or 4 months ago. I think it could maybe be my power supply, but it's strange that it only happens sometimes, not all the time. I haven't given up on it being a software issue, so the PC has not been sent to anyone to inspect it yet or at least test the PC hardware.

PC specs:
Gigabyte RTX 3060 Eacgle OC 12GB
Intel I5-10600kf
Kingston Furry 8gb 2666MHz 2x
Asus Rog Strix B460-h gaming
Silverstone 240mm water cooler

Feb 23, 2024
Check the coolant level in your cooler. Also consider a clean/flush of your AIO system (yes, some of them do need it). After 3 years, it's time!
But the thing is I don't think it has anything to do with the cooler itself because when I'm turning on the PC, it's like a 50/50 chance whether it will run fine or not. It's been working fine for the past month, it just started acting up again today. Thank you for the advice tho if I don't get anything that can solve the problem I will try what you said.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
But the thing is I don't think it has anything to do with the cooler itself because when I'm turning on the PC, it's like a 50/50 chance whether it will run fine or not. It's been working fine for the past month, it just started acting up again today. Thank you for the advice tho if I don't get anything that can solve the problem I will try what you said.
It doesn't have to happen all of the time. It's probably more the temp of the room that determines whether it overheats or not.

Could also be the cooling fans too. Do you know how fast those are running?

Feb 23, 2024
It doesn't have to happen all of the time. It's probably more the temp of the room that determines whether it overheats or not.

Could also be the cooling fans too. Do you know how fast those are running?
When it starts to overheat the fans go to max rpms. And tbh the room temps dont matter even when its ice cold -5 degrees or 30 degrees in the room it still sometimes goes of with the temps and fans and I have noticed that the temp issues only happends when there is a windows update like if the latest update is not downloaded so maybe it has to do something with the windows idk any more

Last edited:
@UnsM1
If the cooler is still tight to the CPU then the problem is the cooler. After 3 years some coolers will start to get plugged up or the coolant evaporates and will cause intermittent cooling problems. Good one day, overheating and 100C the next.

Many AIO coolers are poorly designed junk with a life expectancy of 3 years or less. Traditional heatsinks have far less long term problems compared to most AIO coolers.

AIO coolers do not last forever.
The pump fails or gets clogged.
Air will intrude through the tubes and the whole system needs to be replaced.
Lifespan may be 5 years.

What is the make/model of your case?
A simple twin tower cooler will cool just as effectively as a 240 aio in a decent case.

Feb 23, 2024
@UnsM1
If the cooler is still tight to the CPU then the problem is the cooler. After 3 years some coolers will start to get plugged up or the coolant evaporates and will cause intermittent cooling problems. Good one day, overheating and 100C the next.

Many AIO coolers are poorly designed junk with a life expectancy of 3 years or less. Traditional heatsinks have far less long term problems compared to most AIO coolers.
But the thing is that the problem only happends when there is a windows update that I didnt install after I install it its all fine so thats why I DONT THINK its the cooler

Feb 23, 2024
AIO coolers do not last forever.
The pump fails or gets clogged.
Air will intrude through the tubes and the whole system needs to be replaced.
Lifespan may be 5 years.

What is the make/model of your case?
A simple twin tower cooler will cool just as effectively as a 240 aio in a decent case.
Can any of you read? I said it only happends when there is a windows update after I install it its all fine so it cant be the cooler

Can any of you read?
I can read but I think you are ignoring the fact that your cooler is not working properly.

It should not be difficult for a 240mm AIO cooler to keep a 10600KF at a reasonable temperature no matter what a computer is doing. Your cooler is not doing its job.

Here is a good comparison. Your 10th Gen 10600KF has 6 cores. My 10850K has 10 cores. My CPU needs 171.0W to run Cinebench with all 10 cores fully loaded at 4.8 GHz. None of the cores are going over 60°C. I have a 240 mm Corsair AIO which is the same size cooler you have.

Your cooler is defective. The forums are full of stories of AIO coolers that have failed after only 3 years or less. No need to be surprised by this. Many AIO coolers are junk. They do not last forever. Either the coolant slowly evaporates or they get clogged or the pump fails.

If you are still in denial then go run Cinebench and see how well your cooler deals with a full load test. Any properly functioning 240mm AIO cooler should be able to keep a 10600KF nice and cool at full load without any problems.

prLOazl.png

Feb 23, 2024
I can read but I think you are ignoring the fact that your cooler is not working properly.

It should not be difficult for a 240mm AIO cooler to keep a 10600KF at a reasonable temperature no matter what a computer is doing. Your cooler is not doing its job.

Here is a good comparison. Your 10th Gen 10600KF has 6 cores. My 10850K has 10 cores. My CPU needs 171.0W to run Cinebench with all 10 cores fully loaded at 4.8 GHz. None of the cores are going over 60°C. I have a 240 mm Corsair AIO which is the same size cooler you have.

Your cooler is defective. The forums are full of stories of AIO coolers that have failed after only 3 years or less. No need to be surprised by this. Many AIO coolers are junk. They do not last forever. Either the coolant slowly evaporates or they get clogged or the pump fails.

If you are still in denial then go run Cinebench and see how well your cooler deals with a full load test. Any properly functioning 240mm AIO cooler should be able to keep a 10600KF nice and cool at full load without any problems.

prLOazl.png
You are not reading it, Cooler is working fine, pump was tested works fine, you can hear the water in it doing just fine. PC is NEVER overheating if there is no windows update that I didn't download after I download it its all fine. No update avg temps are around 100-120C after I do the windows update it takes about 10min for the CPU to cooldown and after that its all working just fine running from 30-45C CPU and CPU package till a new Windows update come and same thing after I do the update temp drop to normal. So IT CAN'T BE THE COOLER WHEN THE COOLER IS WORKING FINE. There is nothing wrong with the cooler it self. Tomorrow I will reinstall windows and all should be good because pc is running normal temps even when I do a benchmark that would not be the case if the cooler was bad. Today I even put a new cooler on the CPU same thing happend till I download the windows update so there is 0% that the cooler is bad. I legit put a normal air cooler on the CPU and same thing happend but when I moved my cooler to a dif pc it was running normal temps. I called my local tech store and they said that windows 10 has some issues that make PC and Laptops overheat for no reason. They said I'm not the first one calling about there pc overheating even after trying to install a new cooler. So there tip was to reinstall windows and after that it should be all fine or just keep on updateing windows instantly after new update comes.

TRENDING THREADS