[SOLVED] CPU overheating

Apr 3, 2019
I bought this gaming laptop 1 month ago and for the duration I noticed random freezes only in games where it ran perfectly fine nothing wrong whatsoever then an abrupt freeze for ~5-10 seconds then it resumes as though nothing happened. I updated drivers for everything from my BIOS to my GPU I've CCleaned the laptop defraged it checked the health of both hard drives and they're both fine. The only thing that's red-light-ish is that the CPU temps skyrocket from 70-80 under load to ~95 for a few seconds and then go back down I'm trying to figure out what to do the only things I can think of is changing the thermal paste on my CPU or changing the fan however I think that's okay because it seems to be working just fine.

The specs:

CPU: I7 Intel 4910MQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 880M 16 GB
RAMs: 2x 8GB
Hard Drives: 1x 256 GB SSD 1x 1TB HDD

Oh and something I forgot to mention is that at rest the temperature is ~50 degrees C and the general weather where I'm living is 20-25 at the moment.

Solution
If you apply the paste correctly (as long as its not liquid metel) you cant make it worse. You can just take the back of the laptop off, unscrew the heatsync, and spray the fan and laptops inside with compressed air to get rid of the dust. Dont use a ton of pressure. Use an alcohol soaked towel to clean the exising paste off of the dies and then reapply a pea sized amount of paste on the cpu and gpu. Reapply the cooler tightly. If not confident, you may find a teardown online. Just a note, you dont need to defrag ssds. 95c isnt very safe, i wouldnt use it much at high temps untill you bring the temps down.
I would try to open the laptop and dust out the fan, after it has been removed from the laptop. If that doesnt fix it, you can try repasting the cpu and gpu. Judging by the specs that laptop is older and the thermal paste may have become hard and ineffective at transferring heat. I recently did this to a laptop and it brough the temps down by anout 15c.

Reactions: nicola potter
Apr 3, 2019
I would try to open the laptop and dust out the fan, after it has been removed from the laptop. If that doesnt fix it, you can try repasting the cpu and gpu. Judging by the specs that laptop is older and the thermal paste may have become hard and ineffective at transferring heat. I recently did this to a laptop and it brough the temps down by anout 15c.
Thanks for the fast reply I'm going to clean the fans for sure but since the thermal paste and the screwdrivers come at the same day I'll do both there's no harm in applying thermal paste even if its okay right? As far as how to do it I just have to open the lid and unscrew the fan then the heatsink then wipe off the old thermal paste with alcohol and apply a dab of the new one and put the heatsink back on? Or am I wrong on how to go about doing it? Again thanks so much for your input on this because I can't think of anything else that would make my games freeze. Oh last question is it safe to game on it in the meantime or do I risk turning it into a crisp?

If you apply the paste correctly (as long as its not liquid metel) you cant make it worse. You can just take the back of the laptop off, unscrew the heatsync, and spray the fan and laptops inside with compressed air to get rid of the dust. Dont use a ton of pressure. Use an alcohol soaked towel to clean the exising paste off of the dies and then reapply a pea sized amount of paste on the cpu and gpu. Reapply the cooler tightly. If not confident, you may find a teardown online. Just a note, you dont need to defrag ssds. 95c isnt very safe, i wouldnt use it much at high temps untill you bring the temps down.

Solution