Question CPU overheating

Apr 7, 2019
I've been having a overheating issue for about a week now. I replaced my GPU, I've put new thermal paste on my Corsair cooling unit and the PC is clean inside?? I'm reaching temps up to 145 degrees within minutes of turning it on, what is the issue? It was build less that 3 years ago.

Apr 7, 2019
C or F? I'm assuming F as if it was C your CPU would have practically melted.

Is it an AIO water cooler? If so most likely the pump had died/dying, or you have improperly mounted the cooler.

If its an air cooler, make sure its mounted correctly.
I'm using the Corsair H110i. It's mounted/connected correctly. I have the side panels off and an exterior fan blowing into the PC to try to cool it and it was still hitting those temperatures. In Fahrenheit. I check the CPU it seems to be fine but I'm really not sure what I'm looking at there, nothing looks melted in anyway. PC isn't even booting up before the GPU fans kick on high and it shut down. (except for the fans). A few nights ago I heard the fans kick on in the middle of the night while the PC was sleeping... if that's any indication of what's going on, I don't know?

Apr 7, 2019
I am unable to run a temperature test at this time, I used a digital thermometer. It is not overclocked. Initially I could play anywhere from 20 min to an hour before failure. Now I can't even boot up, which is why I can't run a temperature test.

callaghan94

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Sounds like the cpu fan is dead and/or system fan. Try running the PC with the case opened to see if the fans are spinning, if you can hear a fan turning while the case is closed it doesn't confirm that both are ok, it could be the system fan you can hear. Make sure to take care when running the pc with the case open.

edit: just noticed you said the pc is open, is the cpu fan on your cooler running? If its water cooled the issue could be the pipes, or pump (if it has one)

Apr 7, 2019
Sounds like the cpu fan is dead and/or system fan. Try running the PC with the case opened to see if the fans are spinning, if you can hear a fan turning while the case is closed it doesn't confirm that both are ok, it could be the system fan you can hear. Make sure to take care when running the pc with the case open.

edit: just noticed you said the pc is open, is the cpu fan on your cooler running? If its water cooled the issue could be the pipes, or pump (if it has one)
The CPU fan is running, I have the Corsair H110i closed system. I think what's happening is: The corsair is sending false readings (Is that a thing?) I took off the fan, ran a stress test with no failures, once reinstalled (with new thermos paste) it immediately shut down, no time to get the rest up.

Apr 7, 2019
Well, it's not the Corsair. Just did it again (shut down and GPU fans kicked on high) with the entire cooling unit out of the PC. I'm so frustrated with this. I'll check the Super NOVA 750 Power supply?? maybe