[SOLVED] Cpu Overheating?

Aug 24, 2019
AMD FX-6350 with (unsure of name/brand of cooler at the moment) a single fan cpu cooler. Every once in a while when gaming on Beam.ng or something intense, my pc will randomy turn off. I tap the power button and bolt to bios and see my cpu temp is at 72⁰c. Is it possible my cpu is overheating and shutting my pc off to protect itself. I had no way of monitoring temps while I was playing so I dont know exactly the temps were when it shut down. I checked all the psu connections and they all seemed to be tight so I'm not assuming that it's a psu problem. Also pc is a pretty old build, meaning that the thermal paste is atleast 3 years old. Should I upgrade to a new cpu cooler and reapply thermal paste or just try new paste first? Or is there another option I'm not thinking of.

Reactions: Jimmyt2
Solution
You have 2 basic issues to start with.
  1. It's an AMD FX. But I'll leave that there.
  2. It's amd Fx, which does not have thermal strips on-core the way Intels do. So cannot actually 'read' temps even somewhat accurately as there's nothing to read. Instead, the FX use a thermal margin, comprised of a seriously complex algorithm fed by data from a thousand different sources such as load, vcore, vid, vccio, VRM voltages, package and socket temps etc. The cpu itself has a written max working temp and the thermal margin is the distance from the algorithm's temp to the max temp. So a TM in the 40's is great, 30's is great, 20's is still good, 10's and it's something to think about cooling solutions. If you hit 0, you are in trouble, and...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you want a quick answer to whether you've got actual overheating going on, you could use a utility such as SpeedFan running in the background with logging enabled. That will give you a much better idea of what's actually occurring before the machine shuts down.

Do pay careful attention to the documentation regarding logging if you decide to go this route, as you must choose precisely what you want SpeedFan to log when logging is enabled.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
The FX line needs a better than average motherboard to keep the motherboard from overheating.
72c. is too high.

Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards. If this helps, look to cooling solutions.

I would not spend any money on a solution for a FX system that can not be carried forward to a new build.
The FX line is all but obsolete for a gamer.

Aug 24, 2019
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
The FX line needs a better than average motherboard to keep the motherboard from overheating.
72c. is too high.

Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards. If this helps, look to cooling solutions.

I would not spend any money on a solution for a FX system that can not be carried forward to a new build.
The FX line is all but obsolete for a gamer.
Asus M5A97 2.0 mobo

I've been satisfied with the performance on the cpu for how much I have into it and I'm planning a new build in a year or 2 but its out of the budget this year.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
  2. It's amd Fx, which does not have thermal strips on-core the way Intels do. So cannot actually 'read' temps even somewhat accurately as there's nothing to read. Instead, the FX use a thermal margin, comprised of a seriously complex algorithm fed by data from a thousand different sources such as load, vcore, vid, vccio, VRM voltages, package and socket temps etc. The cpu itself has a written max working temp and the thermal margin is the distance from the algorithm's temp to the max temp. So a TM in the 40's is great, 30's is great, 20's is still good, 10's and it's something to think about cooling solutions. If you hit 0, you are in trouble, and any negative number means you have a serious problem somewhere.
There's only 2 programs written for the FX, and use thermal margins. AMD Overdrive and Coretemp (have to specify the TM). Fx do not read as like an intel, so even seeing 72°C in bios is suspect.

Clean the pc, especially the heatsink, you should be able to see daylight all the way through any section. Repaste. No idea what paste is under that heatsink, some are better than others and some aren't much better than toothpaste. Most decent pastes will last 5-8 years without a worry.

Use Overdrive or Coretemp to check TM. The actual number isn't important, what is important is what the number is, what range, how close to 0. A TM of 40 is exactly the same as a TM of 30, tons of room thermally, a TM under 10 is quite different.

It's only after having a solid place to start from, with everything hardware working as it should, that additional info can be scrutinized. Jumping the gun, leaping to conclusions etc is just grabbing stuff in the dark. Better to start out in a room that's lit.

Solution
Aug 24, 2019
  2. It's amd Fx, which does not have thermal strips on-core the way Intels do. So cannot actually 'read' temps even somewhat accurately as there's nothing to read. Instead, the FX use a thermal margin, comprised of a seriously complex algorithm fed by data from a thousand different sources such as load, vcore, vid, vccio, VRM voltages, package and socket temps etc. The cpu itself has a written max working temp and the thermal margin is the distance from the algorithm's temp to the max temp. So a TM in the 40's is great, 30's is great, 20's is still good, 10's and it's something to think about cooling solutions. If you hit 0, you are in trouble, and any negative number means you have a serious problem somewhere.
There's only 2 programs written for the FX, and use thermal margins. AMD Overdrive and Coretemp (have to specify the TM). Fx do not read as like an intel, so even seeing 72°C in bios is suspect.

Clean the pc, especially the heatsink, you should be able to see daylight all the way through any section. Repaste. No idea what paste is under that heatsink, some are better than others and some aren't much better than toothpaste. Most decent pastes will last 5-8 years without a worry.

Use Overdrive or Coretemp to check TM. The actual number isn't important, what is important is what the number is, what range, how close to 0. A TM of 40 is exactly the same as a TM of 30, tons of room thermally, a TM under 10 is quite different.

It's only after having a solid place to start from, with everything hardware working as it should, that additional info can be scrutinized. Jumping the gun, leaping to conclusions etc is just grabbing stuff in the dark. Better to start out in a room that's lit.
Thank you for all the information! I'll do my research tonight. I know the FX is meh at best but it's what I've got until I build a ryzen pc hopefully next year.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $24.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-20 12:07 EDT-0400

It's actually only $19 but shipping gets me. 92mm but still same performance as CM hyper212 evo. Easier to get mounted correctly too.
Thanks for the recommendation on the cooler, I'll probably end up ordering the cooler regardless because my stock cooler is an on top of the cpu fan style (if that makes sense?) So an upright fan with heatsinks should be more efficient to cool it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that was a quick and easy. But since you'll have the cover off, and the pc on its side on a table, and you up to your elbows inside messing with properly cleaning the IHS, you might as well just go ahead and finish the job with a proper clean of the entire pc, blow out all that dust, check the filters (Including psu) etc.

TRENDING THREADS