Question CPU overheating

Oct 10, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I recently built a new PC, but the processor is overheating. I have Coretemp installed, and have it set to shut down the PC at 90 degrees. It idles in the 30s, but when I run a game it breaks 90 and shuts down. I checked with the performance monitor in the task manager, and the cpu usage is stuck at 100% for any game I run (I tried a handful of different games). It doesn't spike to 100% and come back down, it stays there. I took it to a computer repair shop, and they ran a CPU stress test for two hours with the temperature not exceeding 70. Other than running a test, they weren't sure what the problem was and gave up. They did mention that one of my standoffs wasn't installed from the motherboard to the case, so I wonder if I have a floating ground. After getting my PC back, I installed HWmonitor and, with no programs running, see that the VIN1, VIN2, VIN3 are at about 2V and the VIN5, VIN6, VIN7 are at 1V, 1.2V, and 1.7V respectively. VIDs 0-5 are hovering between .6V and 1.2V. I'm not sure if this could be a problem with the voltage regulator circuit on the motherboard, a bad processor, or possibly too low of a power supply. I'm worried that voltages that high may have damaged my processor. Nothing on my PC is overclocked. My computer specs are below:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H370 HD3
Processor: Intel 9500 (locked)
16GB memory
1TB HDD
550W Corsair power supply

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Push-pin cpu coolers are tricky to get down. It's EASY to screw up the mount and see high temps afterwards.
Remove the cooler, clean off the old thermal paste(alcohol) from both the cpu and heatsink. Dry it off, or you can let the alcohol do it.
Reapply new thermal paste, about the size of a small pea, in the middle of the cpu, and mount the cooler.
Try to do 2 pins at the same time in a X formation: Top-left pin + bottom right, and top-right pin + bottom left. Make sure you hear each pin CLICK, or it's likely not secure.

Oct 10, 2019
Followed the above instructions, same problem is occurring. The main issue is that the CPU is stuck at max usage when it really shouldn't be. I spoke to a Microcenter earlier, and they suggested that it could be because I've migrated my old hard drive to a new PC and it is causing issues with the registry. I'm not sure how to fix that other than a fresh windows install though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Followed the above instructions, same problem is occurring. The main issue is that the CPU is stuck at max usage when it really shouldn't be. I spoke to a Microcenter earlier, and they suggested that it could be because I've migrated my old hard drive to a new PC and it is causing issues with the registry. I'm not sure how to fix that other than a fresh windows install though.
That's the only way to fix registry issues. Unfortunately, Windows reacts erratically to being transferred or cloned. No guarantees.
I was one of the luckier people. I managed to clone my OS to M.2 SSD without issues.