[SOLVED] Cpu overheating?

Tartarnos

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I have a ryzen 3600x (stock cooler) and it averages a temp of 75 degrees celsius while gaming. It sometimes jumps to 85 degrees but then it goes back down. Is it overheating? If so, what can I do about it? I built this system a day ago so I don’t think the thermal paste has anything to do with it.

Solution
My room temp is 23 degrees, and I’m 99% sure I screwed the cooler down fully. However, during installation, the cooler sort of slid around before I could screw it down. Could the slightly smeared thermal paste be causing the issue?
I don't think it would make that much of a temp difference but if you have extra thermal paste laying around it wouldn't hurt to repaste the cooler and see if it improves.

If it doesn't then consider a aftermarket cooler. I got the CM EVO 212 Black Edition for my Ryzen 2600 @4ghz and it doesn't exceed 65C under gaming loads (21C ambient).

Tartarnos

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
If 85° is the max temps while gaming with the stock cooler then it is just fine.
Which software are you using to check temps?
Im using msi afterburner. I read online that hitting 85 degrees can lessen the lifespan of your cpu. Is that true? Also, if it gets to hot, should I just leave the fan on 100 percent all the time?

Use Ryzen Master and see
Im using msi afterburner. I read online that hitting 85 degrees can lessen the lifespan of your cpu. Is that true? Also, if it gets to hot, should I just leave the fan on 100 percent all the time?
It might not last 20 years, by that time you should have replace it a couple of times.
Use Ryzen Master and see if it shows the same temps.

It will help if you increase the fan speed while you are gaming.

If you want better temps you will need and after market cooler.

Reactions: Tartarnos

Tartarnos

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Unless you have a fairly high ambient (room) temp it really shouldn't be running that hot as the 3600X has a good cooler. I would make sure that the cooler has been installed correctly and is snug.
My room temp is 23 degrees, and I’m 99% sure I screwed the cooler down fully. However, during installation, the cooler sort of slid around before I could screw it down. Could the slightly smeared thermal paste be causing the issue?

WildCard999

Titan
I don't think it would make that much of a temp difference but if you have extra thermal paste laying around it wouldn't hurt to repaste the cooler and see if it improves.

If it doesn't then consider a aftermarket cooler. I got the CM EVO 212 Black Edition for my Ryzen 2600 @4ghz and it doesn't exceed 65C under gaming loads (21C ambient).

Solution