Question CPU Overheating?

Sep 21, 2020
So originally I thought I had a virus installed on my PC, as I had an issue where one of the fans was louder and running harder than usual. the issue persisted through multiple factory resets and Virus scans as well as visits to repair centers. But upon further inspection, I now realize it's my CPU fan making all the noise and randomly peaking temperature when my room was actually cold. I visited another forum wandering if maybe they could help me diagnose what virus it was I had on my pc. They said they weren't even sure it was a virus, as the multiple scans they had me do came back with nothing. I'm now more than ever convinced I just need to buy another CPU, but before I do that I wanted an outside opinion on my dilemma before I go and buy another CPU. My main hindrance are games aren't running the same as they used to when I first built the PC, and again, the obssesively loud CPU fan, like the whole system is overheating. My CPU right now is an AMD (FX)-8350 Eight Core.

Have you Overclocked your CPU?
Your system is probably more than 4years old so you should replace your TIM with a decent paste.
How long since you cleaned the system of dust?
Once we know the rest of your systems spec then a better assessment can be made.

The FX-8350 is about as best as it gets for the AM3+ platform which is now EOL (End of Life).
Unfortunately to upgrade will involve changing platforms to AM4 and that also means a new Motherboard and RAM.

Sep 21, 2020
I have not overclocked my CPU, Graphics are RX 460 graphics, Mobo is Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0, 600 watt bronze power supply, my cooler is an AVC Heatsink fan, and ram I'm looking at 16 gigs of corsair vengeance. Been about a month since I've cleaned her out, but yeah I built the system 4 years ago. I don't mind having to update more parts of my system but I'd rather know if I actually need to do it rather than the issue being something else

I have not overclocked my CPU, Graphics are RX 460 graphics, Mobo is Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0, 600 watt bronze power supply, my cooler is an AVC Heatsink fan, and ram I'm looking at 16 gigs of corsair vengeance. Been about a month since I've cleaned her out, but yeah I built the system 4 years ago. I don't mind having to update more parts of my system but I'd rather know if I actually need to do it rather than the issue being something else

Before you try replacing the CPU I would replace the TIM and possibly the cooler itself. Clean of the old paste with Isopropyl Alcohol 95%. Get yourself some decent Paste like AS5, MX4 or Thermal Grizzly. Apply a small pee sized blob of paste to the center of the heatsink sparingly and see how you go. There are much better aftermarket coolers than the one you have.
Next would be to check your PSU. A major cause of system Overheating is a failing PSU. Bronze or cheap units don't have a very long lifespan and when it fails to regulate voltage to the rails correctly then the system will overheat.

So then what would be an ideal cooler? Or should I just buy the same one?
There are many to choose from to suit your budget however Hyper 212 Evo is a decent unit at around $65 us available from Amazon or a Noactua D-15 for the ultimate twin fan at $175. There are also AIO water coolers that are less noisy and more efficient.
I would upgrade. The unit you have is a basic piece of crap.

Last edited: