Question CPU overheating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
System Information:
  • Corsair CX750F RGB, 750 Watt, 80 PLUS Bronze, Fully Modular RGB Power Supply
  • EK 240mm AIO Cooler, D-RGB All-in-One CPU Cooler with EK-Vardar High-Performance PMW Fans, Water Cooling Computer Parts, 120mm Fan, Intel 115X/1200/2066, AMD AM4
  • ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi 6) AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS FlashBack, HDMI 2.1, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and AURA Sync)
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Ryzen 9 5000 Series Vermeer (Zen 3) 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor - 100-100000061WOF
This is a new build. I keep getting overheating errors for my CPU which leads to a shut down.

I have tried reseating the processor which new thermal paste. My cooler is plugged into the AIO port of my mother board. No luck.

When I entered the bios, it said that the AIO port speed was N/A.

My temperature doesn't spike immediately but slowly creeps up. It starts at about 60C and then climbs. I wonder if the pump is actually working but I am not sure how to test. I have tried to plug the pump into another fan header which doesn't help.

When I was building this bad boy on pc part picker, it said I would need to update the BIOS given the motherboard and processor I was using.

Is it possible that my overtime is due to a bios problem? If so, I may be effed because I started to update the bios but the overheating causes a shutdown.

I would appreciate any insight or suggestions that anyone can give.

Thanks!

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
I'm sorry I suggested checking the manual... I did not expect this.
Use the backplate and the retention bars + screws that came with the motherboard,
Use the bracket, thumbscrews, and screw clips shown on page 10 of the online manual, and install them as shown on pages 13, 15, and 16.

I've no idea if those spacers would work.

First, thanks for all of the help. Can't say how much I appreciate it.

This is madness. I don't have the thumb screws in that they did not come with the cooler or the mobo.

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
When you install the cooler and tighten the pump/block screws it will pull the backplate into the motherboard and in turn pull the block onto the CPU.

The backplate will be loose/floating until you attach the cooler.

Or use the AMD bracket and original mount as stated above.

Ok. You were correct. I tried using the bracket and the heatsink. It worked...I thought I had went through the exercise enough to not disturb the paste. But when I did it with the heat sink, the spacers obstructed the room needed to be able to thread the screws.

Thanks for the advice. It was me overthinking instead of just trying was the problem. Ugh. Thats on me.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Ok. You were correct. I tried using the bracket and the heatsink. It worked...I thought I had went through the exercise enough to not disturb the paste. But when I did it with the heat sink, the spacers obstructed the room needed to be able to thread the screws.

Thanks for the advice. It was me overthinking instead of just trying was the problem. Ugh. Thats on me.
Good to hear.

Reactions: manute771
Status
Not open for further replies.