Question CPU Overheating

Nov 6, 2022
Hello!

Specs:

z690 maximus extreme
Core i9 13900k
12 total case fans.
ROG AIO
T force 6400 mhz ram (4 dims) - tried to run at max rating of 5600 - system ran for a bit then kept BSOD'ing

So I am not sure what the issue is. At first, I thought the AIO mounting hardware was a bit loose so I put 1 washer on each of the 4 mounts on the backplate and that helped a bit. But CPU is still overheating and throttling. Unable to pass seconds in aida 64. Unable to be overclocked or run xmp profile. The temperatures hover around 39-45 then spike every now and again to like 55-60. I am not even sure where to begin here.

Nov 6, 2022
The case fans are in their own hub (corsair) in a HAF 700 EVO. Airflow is great and I don't think the issue is from low rpms, Feels like an AIO issue. The CPU throttled mainly in aida, but can reach 60-70 idle now and then. 9 of the fans are corsair apart from the ROG rad fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Since you've recalled the cooler working in an older build...
1)You've seen reviews of that cpu? and how it behaves in regards to core temperatures with tasks that load all the cores Vs ones that don't?
That is the norm under all core loads. Under anything else, this cpu should be pretty chill - and Asus is usually pretty good with their default bios configs.

2)12 LL 120 fans + HAF 700 Evo = an airBLOW* setup in a custom loop cooling showcase.
With the exception of the rear - and perhaps bottom - fan options, all the other fan slots are farther away from your components than they usually would be in smaller cases, which brings fan air pressure into question.
The extra distance to cover gives more time for fan air pressure to decrease; weaker air intakes and exhausts. Fans further away from the target source need to run harder to 'break even' compared to if they were in smaller cases.
Most of Corsair's fans don't focus too much on performance either.
The MLs are Corsair's performance series, with LL, QL, and SP all falling a fair bit behind in comparison. [There is a 2200rpm LL120 that's on par with the MLs, but they're not sold in multi-packs, and thus are even more expensive...]
I put an * next to airBLOW, because there might not be such a scenario playing out if there's an issue with air pressure over distance.

3)Ryujin II.
Mounted at the top, I'm sure, so whatever the case ambient is, that's the cooler's 'starting point. Both light and heavy loads will be affected by that.

Post some pictures, because we don't know the fan configuration.
Here's how to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Nov 6, 2022
I went in bios and enforced all limits and used best case scenario. But my xmp wont work? My ram is rated at 6400 mhz ddr5, and i cant get it past 5400-5600

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS