Josephthomas9

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
So my computer normally works great. 2 days ago it did not power up which was weird. So I checked the temps and my cpu was getting really hot like going up by 1 every second up to about 100+ before just powering off itself. I have tried adding a new cooler with new thermal paste and that didn’t work. I took apart everything and put it back together, still no hope. I have now checked the back of my motherboard and noticed small signs of VRM burns. I think my backplate was on wrong and was touch a pin for one of the VRMs for years and is now showing damage. The thing that gets me is the pc powers up and turns on so I think it can be fixed but the VRM damage makes me think a new motherboard is my best option here. Do you guys think I should just get a new motherboard since the VRM is showing a little burn damage?

Photo of motherboard VRM pins
https://ibb.co/PGHGm9Y

specs
Ryzen 7 5800x 8 core
GTX 1660 super
ASUS TUF GAMING B450-PLUS II
DDR4 xpg d60 2x8
LIQMAX III performance cooler

Lutfij

Titan
I was thinking that you might've forgotten to add a gasket to prevent the metal backplate from making contact with the soldering points on the back of the motherboard, effectively causing a short/bridging of solder points, and what lead to the issue. If you got the backplate on wrong, then the issue will persist on your new platform as well. Just saying so you're aware that the same issue can happen again if you're not careful.

I don't think there's anything possible for repair on that board though you're more than welcome to go to a certified repair shop and show them the motherboard, see what they have to say about the extent of the issue. Just to rule out the problem being with your backplate alone, remove the AIO and try and work with the stock air cooler that came with your processor. If the system boots without an issue, you've avoided buying a new board and you've learned your lesson. On second thoughts, if your processor is receiving power without any control(due to a blown VRM, assuming) then yes the board either needs repair or replacement.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU as well. While you're here, looking for a new motherboard, look into a B550 chipset as opposed to a B450 chipset.

Reactions: Josephthomas9

Josephthomas9

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
I was thinking that you might've forgotten to add a gasket to prevent the metal backplate from making contact with the soldering points on the back of the motherboard, effectively causing a short/bridging of solder points, and what lead to the issue. If you got the backplate on wrong, then the issue will persist on your new platform as well. Just saying so you're aware that the same issue can happen again if you're not careful.

I don't think there's anything possible for repair on that board though you're more than welcome to go to a certified repair shop and show them the motherboard, see what they have to say about the extent of the issue. Just to rule out the problem being with your backplate alone, remove the AIO and try and work with the stock air cooler that came with your processor. If the system boots without an issue, you've avoided buying a new board and you've learned your lesson. On second thoughts, if your processor is receiving power without any control(due to a blown VRM, assuming) then yes the board either needs repair or replacement.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU as well. While you're here, looking for a new motherboard, look into a B550 chipset as opposed to a B450 chipset.
So did some research and yup most definitely was my backplate being on wrong. Don’t have the specs for my psu just know it’s a 750 watt. It’s a lot to take out. I’m checking for a B550 chipset now.

Josephthomas9

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
So here is a little background…..

(So my computer normally works great. 2 days ago it did not power up which was weird. So I checked the temps and my cpu was getting really hot like going up by 1 every second up to about 100+ before just powering off itself. I have tried adding a new cooler with new thermal paste and that didn’t work. I took apart everything and put it back together, still no hope. I have now checked the back of my motherboard and noticed small signs of VRM burns. I think my backplate was on wrong and was touch a pin for one of the VRMs for years and is now showing damage. The thing that gets me is the pc powers up and turns on so I think it can be fixed but the VRM damage makes me think a new motherboard is my best option here. Do you guys think I should just get a new motherboard since the VRM is showing a little burn damage?)

Ryzen 7 5800x 8 core
GTX 1660 super
DDR4 xpg d60 2x8
650w evga

I ended up getting a new mobo “MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK”. Cpu still overheating up to 114 then turning off. I have tried a new cooler, switching ram sticks out, different thermal paste, couldn’t flash the bios because the cpu overheated one last time and now no display but led for cpu stays on. I can’t think of anything other then trying a new cpu but wanna see what you guys think?

Josephthomas9

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
Is the pump working?
It was showing rpm on both ENERMAX I have but this last go round, when the display went out it flashes one time and that’s it. I can’t tell. I can try the other ENERMAX and get back to you but I tried that on my last board and it worked but cpu was still overheating even though that could have been the VRM I think.

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
So here is a little background…..

(So my computer normally works great. 2 days ago it did not power up which was weird. So I checked the temps and my cpu was getting really hot like going up by 1 every second up to about 100+ before just powering off itself. I have tried adding a new cooler with new thermal paste and that didn’t work. I took apart everything and put it back together, still no hope. I have now checked the back of my motherboard and noticed small signs of VRM burns. I think my backplate was on wrong and was touch a pin for one of the VRMs for years and is now showing damage. The thing that gets me is the pc powers up and turns on so I think it can be fixed but the VRM damage makes me think a new motherboard is my best option here. Do you guys think I should just get a new motherboard since the VRM is showing a little burn damage?)

Ryzen 7 5800x 8 core
GTX 1660 super
DDR4 xpg d60 2x8
650w evga

I ended up getting a new mobo “MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK”. Cpu still overheating up to 114 then turning off. I have tried a new cooler, switching ram sticks out, different thermal paste, couldn’t flash the bios because the cpu overheated one last time and now no display but led for cpu stays on. I can’t think of anything other then trying a new cpu but wanna see what you guys think?
It sounds like you may have a problem with your CPU overheating and causing your system to shut down. There are several potential causes for this issue, and it's worth trying a few different things to try and troubleshoot the problem. Here are some steps you can try:
  1. Make sure that your system is adequately cooled. Check that all of the fans in your system are functioning properly and that there is sufficient airflow through your case.
  2. Make sure that the thermal paste between the CPU and cooler is applied correctly. If the paste is not applied evenly, it can cause uneven heat distribution, leading to overheating.
  3. Check that the cooler is properly seated and secured on the CPU. If the cooler is not installed correctly, it may not be able to dissipate heat effectively.
  4. Make sure that your system is not overclocked. Overclocking can cause your system to run hotter than it otherwise would, leading to overheating issues.
  5. Check the power supply unit (PSU). If the PSU is not functioning properly, it may not be able to provide sufficient power to the system, leading to overheating.
  6. Try a different CPU cooler. If your current cooler is not able to effectively dissipate heat, switching to a different cooler may help.
  7. Try a different CPU. If you have tried all of the above steps and your system is still overheating, it is possible that the CPU itself is damaged. In this case, replacing the CPU may be necessary.
I hope this helps!

Josephthomas9

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
It’s 2 things I can try right now which is my old AIO cooler on the new mobo if that does not work I think I need a new cpu. I have tried re seating the cpu and re pasting and switch out legit everything other than a new psu cuz that seems to be fine. If my old pump does not cool it down I’m pretty sure the cpu is just damaged at this point I’ve tried over 50 times with checking the cooler and re- pasting it so I’m pretty sure it’s not that.