CPU Overheats after applying new thermal paste

Ben_107

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Hi there,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 in it. As it is a few years old, I decided to replace the thermal paste today.

I applied a pea sized amount of the thermal paste, after cleaning the CPU and heatsink with alcohol.

Once I turned the computer on again, the CPU fan immeadiatly went up to maximum, and after booting, the computer instantly turned off!

I don't know what I have done wrong here, but I am now very worried about my computer!

Many thanks in advance. :)

Solution
Even applying too much paste will not cause such severe overheating. I'm thinking you either don't have the heatsink retaining bracket on properly, or it has popped loose, or you may have a broken tab on the retention bracket.
Thermal paste doesn't have to be replaced unless the cooler is removed. Pea size is too much; the size of a cooked grain of rice is enough. Make sure you reconnected the fan to the correct header if more than one is available.

Ben_107

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Hi,

I have managed to fix my computer! I had not screwed the heatsink in quite far enough - it was not touching the CPU. Thanks maddogfargo, I did not think of checking the heatsink screws!

Once again, many thanks to everyone who has helped me out.