[SOLVED] CPU overheats after New GPU installed.

jimbo328

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
Hi all.

My i7-4770k Haswell (onboard MSI z87) overheats (98 degrees) after I had replaced my previous GPU GTX 770 2GB to GTX 1070 4gb. After reading solutions on another thread (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-overheating.3455561/ ), I've come to certain that it is the GPU causing the overheat because CPU runs fine again when running onboard graphics (54 degrees). Are there any suggestions to overcome this problem if I insist on using the GTX 1070. Do I need to upgrade entirely to a new motherboard and CPU?

Thank all in advance for any suggestions.

jimbo328

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
I've got a Corsair AX760 PSU, Corsair h100i CPU cooler with Noctua fans in push pull configuration. I've got a Thermaltake Core X9 Case and have removed all 3 panels. The overheat happens almost instantly after boot up (from hours of complete shutdown). I suspect that the CPU just isn't able to keep up with the GPU as suggested by another forum member, does this happen?

Thanks

cpike84

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
If the only thing you did was swap your GPU from the 770 to a 1070 then you should have the same temps while idle, and maybe 2-3 more degrees when on load (gaming), according to review sites I'm seeing that show temps for both cards. That should not effect your CPU temps. If you are overheating almost immediately after boot up my guess is your thermal paste is either dried up and not performing right, or your CPU isn't in contact with your heat sync properly. When your PC is idle your GPU shouldn't really produce much heat at all.

Was this 1070 a used purchase? Are you sure there isn't something wrong with the card?

jimbo328

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
You're right, and I was wrong. The GPU wasn't the cause of the overheating as onboard graphics now show 100 degrees running on the CPU. Furthermore, the overheating is bottlenecking and everything is too slow to operate.
The 1070 is brand new purchase.

I've already applied thermal paste twice and resulted the same. I shall try again for the third time - maybe I'm applying it incorrectly despite following tutorials on youtube.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I will return with an update. Still open to any ideas that could be the cause of problem.
pmJ2gHyMj

Last edited:

jimbo328

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
Reactions: PC Tailor