CPU overheats and crashes games.

Jacist

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Well I've been having this issue for a little over two weeks now, and although I'm not an expert with computers I have a general idea on the components, what they do and how things work. I'm stumped on this though, As of a week ago I downloaded a graphics driver update with Nvidia Geforce Experience, the driver version was v 381.89. Up to this point I have not had an issue with anything, however after I updated the driver and restarted my computer I noticed something odd, no matter what game or client I opened up after a few minutes the game would freeze up, the audio would loop and the game would crash. I've tried a huge range of games, Siege, Minecraft, Rocket League, Paragon and many more. All of which range in terms of stress to the computer. It took me awhile to test variables with it but I noticed one thing in common was that if I tracked my GPU/Cpu heat and preformance while playing games my GPU would say anywhere from 30 degrees celsius to 50, which I think is fine. However my CPU would spike suddenly, I could be playing even something like Minecraft and within a few seconds my CPU's temp would go from maybe 30-40 all the way up to 70 celsius. This only lasted for a few seconds before the game would crash and it would go back to an idle temp, however it's the only thing that is consistent in the issue (that I've found so far.) I've done everything from a system restore to reinstalling drivers, I've even put my fans on max speed just to see if that would help, in none of these cases did it change anything. I'll post my specs below.
I should point out that this is a gaming laptop, no I don't expect the max performance from it but I feel like it's rediculous for it to not be able to play ANYTHING demanding or not.

Specs:
Processor IntelCore i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
System Type x64-based PC
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 70.0 GB
GPU Dual GTX 1080's
Windows 10

Oh the last thing I have tried is when going into Nvidia Control panel I noticed that Psyx was set to my CPU, which I found odd so I changed that back to my GPU. Correct me if I'm wrong but that should be on the GPU yes?

TRENDING THREADS