[SOLVED] CPU overheats and system shuts down

Dec 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I tried to upgrade my motherboard with a newer processor, but the system just shut down after I tried to boot Windows 10 from an USB drive. After consulting a friend, he advised me to just clean the cooler and add a new layer of thermal paste onto the CPU. After doing that everything seemed fine, but When Windows booted up after the installation and I started setting everything up it turned off again.

Now I'm being told that the PSU is to blame, but I don't see how that can be possible since everything booted up and worked for a while in the first place.

Could it be that the stock cooler just isn't powerful enough to cool the new CPU down. The old one was 65w and the new one is 89w.

Solution
Upgrading a cpu shouldnt stress the psu too much. Manufacturers usually leave a little headroom in psu wattage. Could you potentially find the sticker on your psu to see the wattage and brand? This is likely heat related, however it is likely both cpu use the same stock cooler.
Dec 30, 2018

The maximum temperature is 62 degrees, but I'm getting up to 81+

Dec 30, 2018

It is an old setup. I keep it up just for light work, but I thought I may give it a little boost.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ (old) / AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ (new) both Brisbanes

K9N V2 NEO motherboard

I don't know about the PSU

8GB od DDR2 RAM (4 more gb added)

KINGSTON A400 120GB SSD (added)

WD 500GB HDD

AMD 5400 HD Graphics (I think)

The CPU definitely causes the shutdown, but I don't know if it is the cooler or the PSU that's insufficient.

Upgrading a cpu shouldnt stress the psu too much. Manufacturers usually leave a little headroom in psu wattage. Could you potentially find the sticker on your psu to see the wattage and brand? This is likely heat related, however it is likely both cpu use the same stock cooler.

Solution
Dec 30, 2018

The coolers are not the same. The 5000+ one is shorter and has no copper layer, but the 6000+ has a copper layer and heat pipes. I was also told that the old stock cooler would work, but it didn't. I even added the best paste I could find before everything closed down for New Year and Christmas (Cooler Master E2)

Dec 30, 2018

It says on the K9N V2 Neo website and the cpu-world that the 6000+ 89w is supported.

Dec 30, 2018

In case that it doesn't actually support it, could I put the 5000+ back in (even though I've played with it the whole day....The pins are still fine but it's been touched a lot)?

Yep

Dec 30, 2018

So I checked the PSU and it turned out I have an used MS-400 one...Could the 400w psu be the culprit now?

Dec 30, 2018
Thanks for your help guys.

I'm not planning to go down without a fight though. I have ordered a used stock 6000+ cooler to see if it actually succeeds in keeping the CPU operational.