Question CPU overheats during heavy load

Filius_Aurorae

Honorable
May 28, 2015
My computer overheats while under heavy load (gaming). The CPU (AMD Vishera Black 8350) is what over heats, despite having two front fans on my case and the CPU is wearing an Enermax liquid cooler with a 25mm fan. I am assuming that would be the issue, I have reseated the CPU with new thermal paste etc as well.

Any tips to get this thing cooled down would be great!

Thanks!

Filius_Aurorae

Honorable
May 28, 2015
Full PC specs please.

Also, how are you checking this cpu's thermals? If you aren't using either AMD Overdrive or hwinfo(sensors set to 'Distance to TJ Max), then it's not accurate.

CPU - AMD FX 8350 Vishera Black
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070
16GB RAM
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard
Corsair CX Series 750W 80 Plus Bronze power supply
Windows 10

I am using ASUS Suite to check thermals, but it gets hot and shuts down and before it does it is running very hot according to the readings.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know what Enermax cooler you're using. Is it one of these?
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#m=57&W=10120,10140,10240,10280,10360

I am using ASUS Suite to check thermals, but it gets hot and shuts down and before it does it is running very hot according to the readings.
The FX-8350 has a Thermal Margin, or Distance to TJ Max, of 61C.
If you are using the correct applications, that means you will see the sensors COUNT DOWN from 61C as the cpu warms up. Core temps or single digit, 0, and negative(yes, negative) are bad.

Ehh, at the end of it all, it's likely your cooler crapped out on you anyway; hybrid coolers don't last forever.

What temps are you actually getting that you think it's overheating? Could be fine, different CPUs got different thresholds. My old i5 easily hits the 70's while the Core 2 I had before that didn't even touch 60°C. Without knowing how hot it gets we can only guess.

Filius_Aurorae

Honorable
May 28, 2015
I don't know what Enermax cooler you're using. Is it one of these?
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#m=57&W=10120,10140,10240,10280,10360

The FX-8350 has a Thermal Margin, or Distance to TJ Max, of 61C.
If you are using the correct applications, that means you will see the sensors COUNT DOWN from 61C as the cpu warms up. Core temps or single digit, 0, and negative(yes, negative) are bad.

Ehh, at the end of it all, it's likely your cooler crapped out on you anyway; hybrid coolers don't last forever.

Im using the following cooler:

Check this out on @Newegg: Enermax ELC-LMR120-BS Liqmax II 120s / ELC-LMR120-BS / Liquid CPU Cooler 25mm Fan/ INTEL/AMD with AM4 Support https://www.newegg.com/enermax-liqu...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-35-214-062-_-01112021

I figured maybe it just wasn't good enough to get the job done.

Filius_Aurorae

Honorable
May 28, 2015
What temps are you actually getting that you think it's overheating? Could be fine, different CPUs got different thresholds. My old i5 easily hits the 70's while the Core 2 I had before that didn't even touch 60°C. Without knowing how hot it gets we can only guess.

Well it shuts off as the temps continue to rise into the 70s but if I throw a box fan up against it it'll run like a champ all day long.

Definitely overheating

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well that's odd. They included a 2nd fan, but they didn't make the radiator any thicker... probably wouldn't have done any better than a Hyper 212.

Have you physically checked the liquid flow - feel the cpu block, both tubes and the radiator?

Filius_Aurorae

Honorable
May 28, 2015
Well that's odd. They included a 2nd fan, but they didn't make the radiator any thicker... probably wouldn't have done any better than a Hyper 212.

Have you physically checked the liquid flow - feel the cpu block, both tubes and the radiator?

No I havent physically checked it, other than can feel the heat coming out of the back.