[SOLVED] CPU Overheats, Shuts Down in Seconds of Startup. Replaced Thermal Paste. No Good.

Apr 28, 2021
Fans both work (the one underneath and the one connected to heat sink).

But the heat sink doesn't get hot. Instead, within seconds of startup the CPU get super hot then immediately shuts down. How to fix? Thank you.

Also, there's this outlet that says "CPU Fan" but I don't know what to connect to it since nothing will fit in. Instead, I connect the heat sink to JCT1. Is that correct?

Solution
You have certainly made at least one bad connection, although I doubt that is the cause here. But it WILL be a problem once the immediate cause is fixed.

Virtually ALWAYS the actual CPU chip cooler (in this case, a fan on the heatsink over the CPU chip) MUST be plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and you have not done this. Then you say that fan is plugged into a thing called JCT1. I don't know what that is until you tell us what mobo you have, but it may NOT even be any kind of fan port.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There is so much information missing here which makes this difficult to assist.

1. What cooler?
  2. What CPU and motherboard?
  3. What thermal paste?
  4. Is the 'please remove this sticker' sticker removed from the cooler?
  5. Installation directions for CPU cooler followed?
  6. Does CPU actually overheat, how do you know? or could it actually be something else?
I have questions around this:

within seconds of startup the CPU get super hot then immediately shuts down

How is this being determined? What is defined as 'super hot'?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have certainly made at least one bad connection, although I doubt that is the cause here. But it WILL be a problem once the immediate cause is fixed.

Virtually ALWAYS the actual CPU chip cooler (in this case, a fan on the heatsink over the CPU chip) MUST be plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and you have not done this. Then you say that fan is plugged into a thing called JCT1. I don't know what that is until you tell us what mobo you have, but it may NOT even be any kind of fan port.

Solution